Chapter Twenty-Three

I had not had a sit down meal at a table surrounded by people in a really long time. Excluding my time at juvie, I usually either cooked something for myself or ordered out and ate alone since my mom was hardly ever around. It was nice to be able to carry a conversation with the people who were seated around me and to do normal things like passing the mashed potatoes to Tommy or asking Morgan for the salt. It was nice.

The Smiths had really outdone themselves with the meal. There was a huge sliced ham that Mr. Smith had carved himself as he proudly proclaimed to the room before he served each of us a piece. There was also mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese (the extra stringy kind), green beans, corn and homemade bread. It was all delicious and I am not ashamed to say that I had two plate fulls. We sat around the table and talked to each other for a very long time about various topics including school, sports and just current news. Jason had been right, the Smiths had welcomed me with open arms and I never felt awkward or self-conscious at any point during the dinner.

Putting her napkin on top of her plate Mrs. Smith stood up from her seat at the table. "So, who besides Matt wants dessert? I have homemade apple pie served with homemade vanilla ice cream." Everyone at the table shouted a unanimous "Me!" Placing his hand on his heart Matt looked at Mrs. Smith. "You know, Mrs. Smith, you sure do know the way to a man's heart. If you weren't Morgan's mom and married already I would have to marry you myself." Mrs. Smith laughed as Morgan shouted "Ew Matt that's gross" and hit him in the face with her napkin.

Still chuckling at Matt's antics I stood up from my seat and offered to help Mrs. SMith get the pie and ice cream and serve it. "Oh that would be wonderful dear. Thank you so much!" Following her into the kitchen I went over to the freezer to grab the tub that the ice cream was stored in. Bringing it over to the counter where the apple pie was sitting, Mrs. Smith and I sort of made an assembly lie where she would cut the slice of pie and put it on the plate and I would put a scoop of ice cream on top.

"You know, I'm glad that Morgan has you as a friend." I was so startled by the statement that all I could do was look at her at mutter a "huh?". Mrs. Smith smiled at me, "It's true you know. Morgan has never really been the type of a girl best friend. She has always been the lone girl in a group of boys. Don't get me wrong. I love Matt and Jason and of course Tommy, but I am really glad that she is able to have you as a friend." She cut another piece of pie and then looked at me. "I think that you're really good for her Evangeline." At this point in the conversation I was so flustered by her compliments that I'm sure my cheeks were bright red. Looking back down at the tub of ice cream I mumbled, "You know that I just recently got out of Juvie, right? I'm not sure that I am the type of person who qualifies as a good influence."

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked to my left to see Mrs. Smith smiling kidly at me. "Yes, I know about that and from where I am standing you are a lovely young lady. If there is something that I have learned in my many years of life, we won't say how many" I laughed as Mrs. Smith winked at me "is that one mistake does not a person make. You don't have to be defined by that time in your life honey and if you ask me you are doing a great job and holding your head high and moving on." I felt tears well up in my eyes. "Thank you so much." "Anytime dear, now give me a hug." Mrs. Smith and I gave each other a quick hug before we both grabbed the plates of pie and ice cream and brought them out to the hungry dinner guests in the dining room.

After dessert Morgan, Tommy, Matt, Jason and I all made our way back to the formal living room to open gifts while Mr. and Mrs. Smith made their way upstairs to their bedroom. Jason and I took a seat beside one another on the couch while Tommy and Morgan sat in a large lounge chair and Matt sat down in the middle of the floor. Clapping her hands once Morgan got all of our attention. "Ok, so, who wants to go first?" This question was met by an eager Matt who was waving his hand around frantically in the air. Rolling her eyes Morgan looked at him and said, "Ok fine. Matt you can go first." "Yes! Score!"

Crawling over to the tree where the presents were sat Matt picked out the ones that had his name on them. Opening each one individually, he started with the one from me. "Oh my gosh thanks Evangeline! I've been needing a new strap and wax!" I smiled at him. "You're welcome." Matt also got a new phone case from Morgan, a Chick-fil-A gift card from Tommy and a gold chain from Jason to replace the one he had lost last month. We continued to go around and open up gifts with Morgan being next and then Tommy. Morgan got a lot of jewelry and a handmade sign to hang up in her room from Tommy. Tommy in turn got a lot of music related gifts and then, of course, Morgan's hand made music note which promptly got her a kiss as a thank you.

Next was my turn and I began to open the presents that had my name on them. I got a new journaling set from Morgan, a new book that I had been wanting from Tommy and a really cute charm bracelet from Matt. Looking around me, I noticed that one gift was noticeably absent. "I'm actually going to give you your gift when we get back to your house Evangeline" Matt looked at us. "Ooo is it something naughty?" Jason threw a pillow from the couch at him. "Shut up! No, it's nothing like that it's just something that I want to give her in private." Standing up I went over to the tree and grabbed my gift for Jason. "Ok, fine, but then you can't open my gift for you until then either."

After Jason opened up his gifts, which consisted of some sports jerseys and shoes, we stayed and talked to our friends for a little while before excusing ourselves to go home. The ride to my house was spent in amicable silence while the radio softly played Christmas classics. When we got to my house I noticed that my mom's car was still gone from the driveway. "Good, my mom's not back so we will have the house to ourselves." Walking from the car into the house, I took Jason upstairs to my room. "Do you care if we sit out on the roof?" "No that sounds perfect." Opening up my window, we both climbed out onto my favorite spot on the roof.

Turning to me Jason said, "Ok you can go first." "Ok then. As Matt would say Happy early Merry Christmas Jason." Reaching into the bag Jason pulled out my gift for him. "Oh Evangeline, it's beautiful. I love it." I had gotten Jason a glass picture frame with a Great Gatsby quote engraved into it. In the frame was a picture of us both smiling at the camera. "I just thought that since The Great Gatsby is one of the reasons that we are together that it was fitting that a quote from the book be on the outside of the frame." "I love it. Thank you." Jason leaned over and gave me a quick kiss.

"Ok, you're turn." Taking the small gift bag from Jason I reached inside and pulled out what looked to be a necklace box. Opening the long white box, I pulled out a silver necklace that had the pie symbol on the end. "Let me put it on you." Handing the necklace to Jason, I turned around so that he could clasp it onto my neck. Once it was on I looked down at it. "It's beautiful Jason, thank you. But why the pie symbol?" Looking at me he responded, "Well for two reasons. The first being that math brought us together. If it wasn't for the tutoring then I might never have gathered up the courage to talk to you. The second reason being that pie is an infinite number; it has no end. I thought this was fitting since my feelings for you have no end. When I am with you I feel like I could conquer the world." Grabbing my hands in his he leaned closer to me. "I love you Evangeline." I closed the little bit of distance that was between us and kissed Jason.

This kiss was different than our other ones. It was deep, and raw and full of passion and love. Pulling back just enough to where I could still feel our breaths mingling I put my hand on Jason's cheek. "I love you too Jason Worthington the Third." Our lips connected again and as they did I felt like I was on cloud nine. My heart was finally full. I had found where I belonged.