chapter 17

Chapter 17

"Masks"

"but we should"

i slowly moved myself away from max soft grip, clearing my throat as i got up to stand next to the twin sized bed.

"i want you, sage" max stated, looking me straight in the eye.

my heart sank at her soft tone and i wanted nothing more than to kiss her and lay with her all night.

"you're drunk, goodnight maxie"

without another look at max, i softly closed the bedroom door behind me and let a tear fall.

"wow, everything okay?" i was met with the one and only hunter, standing right infront of me.

"i was just looking for the bathroom and um-" i pointed my hand up to the bathroom door and left without another word.

i entered the living room to find Marcus and Abby passed out on the couch. I was about to throw a blanket over them and go home, when I realized their parents were coming home tomorrow.

"marcus, c'mon wake up" I slightly shook him awake.

"sage, seriously? can i ever rest in this house?" he dramatically exclaimed.

I got up and started cleaning the kitchen, "do you want your parents to find you like this tomorrow morning?"

I earned a groan from marcus while he slowly started helping me.

"go home, it's late, i'll finish up here."

when he said that I realized how late it was, I grabbed my coat and gave abby a nudge to go help marcus.

"where's ginny?" i put on my coat and gave marcus a hug.

"she left like 5 minutes ago, be safe" marcus hugged me back and gave me my phone that was still on the counter.

"i will, bye you guys" i gave a quick wave and left the house.

The air was cold and I already dreaded the walk home, not even thinking about how mad my dad will be. I put in my earphones and started walking.

I was stopped by the sight of a figure sitting on curb.
They had their head in their hands and were shivering in their thin jacket.

I knew better than to approach crying strangers in the middle of the night, but as i took a closer look I quickly realized this was not just some stranger.

"ginny?"

the person looked up and my suspicion was confirmed.

ginny looked horrible, her eyes were bloodshot red and the tears were still streaming down her face.

"is everything okay? did someone hurt you?" my thought couldn't help but go there, there weren't many reasons why she would be crying on the street at this time.

I took a seat next to her and threw my jacket around her shoulders.

"oh, no no i'm fine, sage. nobody hurt me" ginny sighed and threw her head in her hands.

"what happend?"

i decided to just ask her, even though i didn't really like ginny, i felt guilty to just leave her here on the side of the street.

"it's just, i really miss marcus" she finally looked up from her hands and i saw her distraught state.

i finally realised that i had no idea what went down between marcus and ginny. i did notice that marcus stopped talking about her, he was barely drawing and the lovey dovey look has lost his eyes.

i stoop up and reached my hand out towards ginny,

"let's get you home, okay? we can talk on the way"

ginny grabbed my hand and we slowly started making our way down the sidewalk.

"what happend between the two of you?" i crossed my arms to somewhat keep myself warm

ginny avoided my eye contact and sighed once again.

"after max found out, i was just consumed with guilt." she started

"i tried to talk to marcus about it, but he just didnt want to hear it."

there was a shake in her voice, this was a side of ginny i had never seen before.

"i broke up with him a couple days ago, and seeing him again was just a lot."

"listen ginny, max was upset-"

"i know that! thats why this all went down, i-" ginny threw her hands up in frustration.

"she was upset, but not because you guys were dating, because you didnt tell her."

ginny was silently walking along me now, we were nearing her house.

"she sees you as her bestfriend, and i think she'd want you to be happy."

she finally looked at me and gave me a small smile. we both stopped walking, standing silently in front of her door.

"do you really think so?"

"i do, i know max, she may have reacted like this at first, but she was just scared of losing her friend."

"i think i'll call them both tomorrow." ginny nodded her head and turned to the door.

"thank you sage, i owe you" she turned back once more before her shadow dissapeared behind the now closed door.

i turned around and made my way home.

--------------------------------------------------

my frozen hands were struggling to put the key in the hole. i finally opened it and was immediately met with my mother's dissapointed face.

"and where do you think you've been?"

in some way i forgot my mom was staying here and in another way I think my brain just wanted to shut it out.

"where's dad?" i wondered

I expected my dad to be standing here with that exact look on his face, he would never go to sleep without knowing I'm home.

"that doesn't answer my question, where have you been?" 

"I was at my friends house and I lost track of time, sorry" only half a lie, not that bad

"for two days?" my mom walked into the living room, silently signaling for me to follow her.

"yes, well I had to help max with some stuff, I slept over." i tried to mumble max name, knowing for sure my mother still remembers her.

"not that Maxine girl again, sage!" she whisper-shouted

"I thought you stopped being friends with that girl, she has a horrible influence on you and so does that brother of her."

my mom has never ever liked the bakers, she saw marcus as a future high school dropout, who only smokes weed (partially true), Max as some crazy of the rails girl and their parents as the prime example of how to not raise your children.

"mom, please let's do this tomorrow, okay?" i slowly turned around, walking towards the steps, hoping she'd let me walk away.

"I never should have let you come back here."

I could practically feel the hatred towards this town and my dad in those words.

"sage, hear me when I say this, you will come back to San Diego with me, your brothers and your lovely step-dad, this is no place for a young girl.

A/N

I'M SO SORRY FOR THE WAIT OMG