Chapter 8

Nico's eyes snapped to Raina's and they made eye contact for the first time in several minutes. She narrowed her eyes. "I said..." she began before taking a large breath, clearly about to scream the word for the entire office to hear. But before she could, Raina had her hand on either side of Nico's jaw, applying just enough pressure with her fingers to make Nico wince.

They stayed like that for a moment, Nico glaring up at Raina defiantly and Raina calmly looking back, while the dominant inside her raged. "Aren't you going to finish your sentence?" Raina purred quietly, tilting her head as if confused by Nico's sudden silence. 

Nico's smirked and Raina's dominance flared in response. Nico opened her mouth again to form the word and Raina's hand deftly slipped down, wrapping around the front of Nico's throat instead. She felt Nico gulp under her palm and she squeezed just a touch as she forced Nico's head back with her hand. Nico had no choice but to look up at her face. Raina leaned in close and nearly made contact between their lips when she spoke next.

"Good girl." 

Raina was acting on instinct now, the reserved and cautious side of her long gone. Her mind ran wild with daydreams, all happening at once, all about this dark-haired, blue-eyed girl. She wanted to start making these thoughts realities. Now. With difficulty, knowing how delicate the situation was, she pulled back the growling animal who wanted to bite that smirk right off Nico's face and let the warmer, more maternal side come forward instead. She wondered briefly how well she'd be able to keep the harsher side back if Nico bucked up again.

Nico's brain, while Raina's was doing backflips, had completely stalled. Raina's simple words poured wax across everything Nico had ever thought or felt and she was lost to Raina's gaze, leaning forward into the hand around her throat with a nearly inaudible whimper of pleasure. Raina was still very close and Nico inhaled slowly, closing her eyes at the other woman's scent. She smelled like wood and coffee and clean clothes. It was new, but it felt familiar.

Any questions that Raina had about her patient's desires evaporated with Nico's whine and the sheer closeness she was trying to achieve. Raina slowly removed her hand from Nico's neck and the girl latched on to her midsection with both arms, eliminating all the space that had remained between them. "Uh," Raina began, taken aback. She placed her hands on Nico's shoulders, trying to scoot back so she could see her face. There was some resistance, but Nico eventually relaxed her arms and looked up, hurt by the rejection she was interpreting.

"Hey, hey. None of that," Raina said quietly, cupping Nico's jaw.

"Sorry, I just...I..." Nico stammered, pulling her head away in shame and looking at the floor.

Raina bent at the waist and waited patiently. Driven by the silence alone, Nico looked up and locked eyes with Raina. She yelped, not realizing how close they were to each other again. "Nico," she said quietly, unable to keep from smiling at the blush radiating up the girl's cheeks, "Would you like to keep spending time together?" Her grin grew at Nico's quick, repetitive nod. "Alright, me too. But we need to leave the doctor's office. We need to take you home and then we can figure out what we want to do from there."

Nico was trying desperately to process the very important words coming out of Raina's lovely, soft-looking mouth. She found herself looking too long at it, snapping back to reality and out of her daydreams when Raina cleared her throat. She felt her face get hot yet again and she swallowed the sand that had mysteriously appeared in her throat. "Okay," she whispered, moving to stand up.

"Woah!" Raina laughed and put one hand on Nico's chest. "You can't walk on that foot, love. Remember?" she asked, gesturing down at the bandages.

"Right, sorry," she chuckled, smiling sheepishly at Raina.