Chapter 35

She selected a dry bra and boxers, then studied the remainder of the clothing in the bottom of the bag. They were running short, so they'd likely need to make another visit to Nico's house soon. But she saw what she was after: the black and yellow onesie. Nico was very much in little space and now would be the perfect time to get her into something adorable.

Raina came back into the bathroom with the bag and Nico squealed happily at her, reaching out with both arms to get picked up. "Not yet, love. We need to get you in dry clothes first," she said with a slight shake of her head. She chuckled at Nico's pout and lowered the towel from where it had been wrapped around Nico's upper body. She put both hands on either side of Nico's ribs, on top of the sports bra, and looked down at her. "Ready?" She asked, waiting until Nico nodded her head and lifted her arms to remove the wet material.

Once Nico was naked and dry, Raina helped her into a new pair of boxers and a new sports bra. Without letting herself hesitate, she held up the black and yellow onesie for Nico to see.

"UM-E-ON!" Nico squealed from behind her pacifier. She clapped her hands and reached for the clothing.

Raina smiled and unzipped the onesie, working it up Nico's legs and over her shoulders. She guided Nico's arms into the sleeves and then zipped her up, grinning at the adorable sight in front of her. A clean, happy girl with messy wet hair in a cartoon character onesie. Did it get any cuter?

Nico looked down at her clothes and grinned. She loved this onesie and it felt so comfy after her bath. She felt a brush running through her hair and she closed her eyes at the sensation. It felt really nice.

"Ready for another movie?" Raina asked after she set the hairbrush on the bathroom counter. She scooped Nico up when she nodded and nuzzled their noses together.

Nico giggled, blushed, and hid her face against Raina, wrapping both arms around her neck. She felt Raina slide both hands underneath her rear to support her weight and she let her legs dangle on either side of Raina's hips. She wondered if every day could be like this with Raina, but then she supposed she had to go back to the clinic at some point. Nico frowned as the grown-up thought crept in. She didn't want to think about that, or anything. She wanted to play with Raina.

Raina settled them onto the couch, oblivious to Nico's thoughts, and pulled Nico's blanket up around her, then another one around herself. She picked up the remote, turned on the TV and navigated to DisneyPlus. "Any requests?" She asked, looking down at Nico.

Nico was busy looking around for Mol, eager for his comfort now that she had anxious butterflies in her stomach. Raina would have to go back to work before her foot was better. What would she do without Raina for that long? Would she have to stay here or could she go home? Her mind was suddenly racing and all she wanted was her furry friend.

Raina noticed the concerned look on Nico's face and she frowned, cupping Nico's chin to tilt her head up a bit so they could make eye contact. "What's bothering you, love?" She asked quietly.

"Mol," Nico said simply, although that was only part of what was on her mind.

"Ah," Raina replied. "Let's take a look, hm?" She continued, standing up and setting Nico down on the couch. She moved the ottoman away and a perfect little chocolate rabbit tumbled out of the blankets and onto the floor. "Ahah!" Raina cheered, plucking him up by the paw. "Here he is," she said, offering him over to Nico.

Nico smiled and took him, glancing up at Raina through her eyelashes. "Thank you," she lisped out around her pacifier.

"Oh my god, you're so cute. I can't stand it," Raina cooed, cupping Nico's whole face in her hands. She kissed both cheeks and the tip of Nico's nose before letting her go and plopping down on the couch next to her. She didn't have to wait long before Nico was crawling into her lap and curling up against her chest. Raina chuckled and draped both arms around Nico, "Well hello there."

Nico simply grunted in response and snuggled close to Raina with her blanket and Mol. She didn't want to think about Raina being away from her, not even for a minute. She found Raina's heartbeat and settled her head there, sighing contentedly. Maybe if they just stayed like this, Raina wouldn't have to leave to go to work and things could just be good and fun.

Raina smiled and leaned back against the couch, bringing Nico with her. She picked up the remote control again and clicked around the app. Eventually, she selected Aristocats and French music began to play.

Nico's attention was immediately grabbed as she recognized the song and she turned her whole body to face the TV, grinning at the adorable kittens trotting across the screen. "Kitty!" She squealed, pointing with the hand that wasn't holding Mol to her chest.

Raina chuckled and nodded. "Yes, baby! There are lots of kitties in this one, aren't there?"

Nico grinned and leaned back against Raina's chest, splaying her legs on either side of Raina's. She had one hand draped across Mol's body and the other was stroking his ear rhythmically. She felt Raina drape both arms around her and she cooed happily, tilting her head back to touch the back of her pacifier to Raina's jaw in a sort of kiss. She giggled as Raina returned the kiss tenfold, pecking the side of her face with kisses.

Raina finally stopped and she felt Nico sigh heavily in relief, letting her eyes wander from Nico to the TV screen. She had to admit, the little kittens were cute. Every so often, she ran a hand through Nico's dark hair and she felt Nico turn to putty a little more each time.  She listened to Nico periodically talk to Mol about the movie and point things out to her with a grin, she could get used to this.

Nico was well invested into the plight of the family of cats, now leaning forward toward the television instead of reclined on Raina. She was talking to Mol when she suddenly looked at Raina, who tilted her head expectantly. "Mommy I-..." Nico froze with wide eyes locked onto Raina's. She tried to swallow the sand in her throat so she could explain and she could feel the panic bringing her out of little space.

Raina's eyebrows shot up initially, then furrowed in concern when all the color left Nico's face. She looked like she was about to be sick. "Nico it's okay. That's not a bad word is it?" She asked, caressing the side of Nico's face with one hand.

Nico felt like she wanted to crawl under a rock. She spit out the pacifier and went to move off of Raina's lap when she felt two hands on her hips, holding her in place. She glanced up at Raina's face, but wasn't able to keep eye contact for more than a split second. She didn't look mad but Nico knew she wasn't supposed to call anyone that. She could feel her little receding in fear and the numbness creeping up again.

"Where are you going?" Raina asked.

"To sit on the couch," Nico muttered.

"But I want you on my lap, little one."

Nico blushed furiously at the pet name and squirmed uncomfortably. She hated getting taken out of little space like this. The in-between stage when she wasn't choosing to be there was next to painful. She was kicking herself for saying it, for ruining things. She didn't mean to, she was just...so little and Raina was so nice. Tears sprang up into her eyes and she wiped at them furiously with her hand.

"Oh, Nico. Honey, it's really okay. You're not in trouble at all," Raina said softly. She ran a hand up and down Nico's back, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

The earlier fear about Raina having to go back to work resurfaced and doubled Nico's anxiety. She pressed the heels of both hands into her eyes to try to stop the tears. She needed to stop.

"Nico, look at me please."

But she couldn't.