Chapter 13

The words took a few moments to register in Nico's brain. She...she was coming here? Now? Uh oh. That...that was not good. She looked up at Raina in a panic and found that words wouldn't come. After some struggle, she managed to get out a flurry of words, "My friend is coming because she thinks this is crazy and I don't know what to do or how to explain or anything." 

Raina raised her eyebrows and tilted her head. "Why does your friend coming to check on you make you feel nervous?" she asked casually. "Shouldn't that make you feel cared for? I should be the worried one, a stranger is coming to my house." She said the last bit with a smile and Nico offered a half-hearted one in return.

"I mean, it does but...I won't be able to answer her questions about what we're doing and why I'm here," Nico countered.

"What we're doing? Nico, are you an adult?" 

"Wha-uh, yes...?" Nico frowned in confusion. Was Raina trying to make fun of her?

"Okay. Are you single?" Raina continued.

"Yes."

"And does your friend know that you're romantically interested in women?" 

"I mean...pretty sure the world is, but yes," Nico replied with a sarcastic chuckle. She made a broad gesture to her short haircut and masculine clothing.

"So what else does she need to know? You're gay, I'm gay. You're an adult, I'm an adult. You're single, I'm single. Why would she care if you want to have a one-night stand at a woman's house you just met? Isn't that what people your age do?"

Nico noticed the separation and looked at Raina again, in full. "What do you mean people 'my age'? How much older are you?" she asked, suddenly shy at the question as the words came out. She felt a blush on her cheeks and looked down at her lap, "I'm sorry, you don't have to answer that."

Raina scooted forward and put her hands on either side of Nico's face, forcing her head up and holding her there until her eyes followed. "I don't mind answering your questions, Nico. If we're going to be friends, and then some, which is something I'd like to do, you should know basic things about me. Like, you know, my age. Which, for the record, is 37." She winked and let her hands fall away from Nico's cheeks, resting one in her lap and one in Nico's.

37, Nico thought, It's not that different than 25...but I guess 'people your age' is fair. She sighed heavily and rubbed a hand across her face, "Okay, yes, dating around is normal for my friends. But not for me. And she knows that, which is why she's coming. The last time I...uh, dated someone, I kinda dove in and didn't come up for air until I was forced to."

"Forced to how?" Raina asked quietly, feeling the pull to keep her talking as long as she could.

"She left. Moved across the country and left me here, changed her number, blocked me on socials, and disappeared. I know she's fine from other people but it all happened fast. She decided to go and that I couldn't come. That was it. She was gone 3 days later."

Raina squeezed Nico's knee lightly and shook her head, "I'm so sorry, Nico."

"It's fine, but that's why she's worried. Doesn't want another Lauren to mess me up again," Nico said, cautiously playing her hand over Raina's.

"That makes sense. Do you think you're at risk of doing that?" Raina asked. She had to admit that she was worried about Nico's answer as she watched her dark eyebrows pull together in thought.

Nico considered Raina's question: was she likely to fall into Raina that deep? Her inner voice laughed hysterically, Are you kidding??? Look at what's happened so far! Of course you're going to do it again. You're going to call her something embarrassing or whatever and then it's all over. She swallowed hard and looked up at Raina, the voice talking even louder as her blue eyes looked into Raina's hazel. "Yes," she whispered, closing her eyes abruptly.