04.

Snapping Bonds

Xander Nile

After shoe shopping, clothes shopping, house shopping and more party shopping, dad had finally allowed us to go get food, you'd think after all the spoiling and sweet words I showered him with today he'd give me a reprieve on carrying the bags —nope, I was the strongest, I was carrying them whilst Lexi just strutted off with him giggling like school girls, I let them have their time, I'd hog dad to myself later, so I ate like the wolf I was, shoving food down my throat. "Xander slow down, if you eat too much you'll get bloated, and then you start getting cramps." Dad warned as he pulled the chicken platter away from me and I whined. "Dad, I don't get cramps anymore, your grandchild does." I protested and he snickered knowing he got it from me and yes, when I ate too much my body had a tendency of punishing me with cramps.

"You're Kaya's father, go figure." He sassily retorts and I groaned stretching out my hand for the salad, it was hopeless sneaking in meat until he was satisfied I ate my greens, I was nolonger a teen but he treated me less than one, a baby actually. "Dad, I had thought of adding something to granma's presents, but I wanted it to be a surprise, even to you, so I'm heading out to get it, uncle Granger found it." Lexi suddenly announces and dad skeptically looks at him before squinting his eyes then turned to me. "Okay sweetie, after you finish your food, you can go." He replied and I chuckled lowly, it always amuses me when my siblings think they can outsmart dad. "But dad—" Lexi whines and I chuckle even more. "Xander eat your greens, and Lexi if you were actually eating now, you'd be done soon." He retorted and my sibling slumped into the comfortable restaurant chair, never was there escaping Xavier Nile, though after eating his food, he excused himself,  I was left with dad and a chicken platter.

"Eat more than me and I'll buy you steak." He challenged and my jaw dropped, we hadn't played this game in a long time. "You're on." I agreed as we both ate like possessed people, there was no crunching of bones, but there was definitely chewing and breaking, I didn't care if the other patrons were looking at us as if we had lost our minds, I was enjoying this with my dad. "And I win." He announced and my jaw dropped again. "What?!" I argued and he snickered wiping his lips of sauce. "Best two out of th—" Before I could finish, pain radiated through my whole being, it was as if a saw was ripping right through me. "Xander— Xander, are you okay baby?" Dad frantically questioned next to me, my vision blurred out as the pain intensified, my body feeling as if it was being dipped in acid, the feeling of acid when you puke only a lot more worse that it caused me to hunch over on the restaurant floor. "Dad it hurts." I whispered as I clutched onto him.

"Don't worry sweetie, the ambulance is on its way, your father too, I'm right here sweetie, I'm right here— I've got you." The pain coursed through me yet again like a flash flood, and as I held onto my dad I could feel him taking it away, I didn't know how, or I was just imagining it but I felt his wolf's presence all around me, holding me through it. "Hold on Xander, you'll be okay, just a little bit more, you'll be okay." I could've sworn that was my wolf talking, but what did it mean, I held on to dad as the pain coursed through me again and as it did, it felt like something was snapping inside of me, several threads of one singular strong chain were snapping, and with each snap, pain shot through me, until the last one holding snapped and everything started to fade away, my vision blurred till my consciousness truly gave out and I was plunged into a world of dreams.

I don't know what happened in the time that I fainted, but I could still feel my dad's presence there with me, comforting me, I wasn't alone, I'd never felt alone, he was always there. Waking up in a plain filled with flowers was something that indeed surprised me, I knew something had happened inside me, I just didn't know the pain would have my mind take me to a place where I felt safe, dad had helped me shape it during the time I was growing up and I had nightmares, he always told me that wolves of our name were special, and that someday I'd manifest gifts no normal wolf would have, I honestly never believed him, until I dream walked for the first time, and into the mind of a killer rogue no less, it gave me nightmares for days, now I can control it and rarely do I use the gift but I know it's there. "What happened?" I called out to my second soul, my other half, he walked up to me, six foot something of ferociousness and vicious looking fangs.

"What was meant to happen, I couldn't let us go through the pain again, I couldn't have you carry the burden of a darkened soul who does not deserve our love." He replied directly into my mind, I could barely understand what he meant, but I knew as I felt another familiar presence inside my safe place, both my wolf and I turned to face him, he was still wearing the clothes from this morning, only that his eyes glowed a deep canary, my wolf was the first to run to him, it made me chuckle. "I've missed you too." He laughed as he was drenched in what was supposedly saliva from all the licking, I should also mention that dad and my wolf had a weird relationship, he didn't listen to anything I said  at times but words from that man were holier than the Goddess's words, maybe it's because he gave birth to us, I'd never know.

"Come here." I heard dad whisper after my wolf finally stopped assaulting him, I didn't need to be told twice to cling to my dad as if the world depended on it, he was my everything and more. "I'm glad you're alright, your second soul did a number on your physical body though." He exclaimed as we parted and I looked to my wolf who seemed apologetic. "Two halves, that's what we wolves are, not just us but them too, they grant us our power and gifts, without them we wouldn't be what we are, and it's only fair that they have a say in who they choose to love." Dad finally spoke as my wolf was frolicking in the flowers, pouncing on butterflies, it was a commom occurrence, one that just made me wonder how vicious my wolf turned out to be when angered yet now it seemed like a puppy.

"So you're saying —" I paused as realization and what my wolf said earlier finally came together. "He broke your mate bond with Val forcefully, he's in the hospital too, and yeah he'll be okay." Dad asserted and I turned to him in shock. "I didn't know wolves could do that." I explained with evident shock. "There is a lot of things we are yet to discover about wolves baby, they are sentient beings, and in all our recorded history we've barely scratched the surface of what they are capable of, so it shouldn't surprise you that your wolf had the will power to break your bond with Val, you could've forgiven him, and things would've gone terribly wrong and he screwed you over again or the opposite, there was a chance, but I'm guessing after what happened before, with the rogues, the baby, leaving, I'm sure your wolf couldn't take the chance." Dad explained as tears welled in my eyes, it all made sense now, my wolf wasn't just protecting itself, but me, from my own emotions, I couldn't be angry, I was grateful, and dad was right, we all couldn't fully understand our wolves, our second souls but they were sentient and they deserved to have a say in who we loved.

"Thanks dad, for putting things into perspective." I mumbled hugging my father, who rubbed my back gently. "All my love goes to you,your siblings, my grandchildren, your father, you're the world to me  and I will always make sure you're okay, I'll make sure the pack is alright, take all the time you need sweetie, you know the way back." He reassured as he placed a kiss on my forehead. "I know, he'll guide me back." I assured dad as I looked to my wolf, I needed some time alone with him, to come to terms with what happened.

+++

Saint Jay