24.

The GOODBYE ~|• I AM YOUR ALPHA.

Xander Larue Nile.

"Tonight we celebrate his life, there was not much he'd done for the pack but the little that he did made him one of us, and we will honor that, here here!" Alpha Cornell yelled over the many wolves who had set up several bonfires across the larger picnic fields, it was a full moon tonight so everyone was a bit extra. The family was healing slowly, alpha Cornell himself was no longer having random outbursts and crying, and for the most part I was sure he was healing, he still agreed to take over as alpha for me just for the month or two until my parents came back to help him, his mate had insisted he do it since it would help him take his mind off Val.

The pack after the burial had gone back to being their usual rowdy self, no threats to our peace, no wolves of our own to bury, things were alright, as for my brothers, I don't even know if Marquis proposed or not, he was planning on it and I was hoping he would do it, we needed the good news, but whatever happened I'm sure they'd be okay and they would be strong.

I hate how fate works sometimes, here I was hoping to have Xi accompany myself and the kids to where Jude was but lo and behold his mate pops up at Val's wake two days after the burial, honestly I had set myself up for disappointment and yes I was disappointed but right now I was also relieved, I had nothing holding me back anymore, no expectations from anyone to uphold and despite the many threats the pack had thrown my way if I left, they had accepted that I needed to leave, the Winters were the alpha family and it was time we Niles stepped off and let them be, I was sure Cornell planned on grooming his eldest daughter to take over after himself, I wholeheartedly supported that idea, she had a good head on her shoulders and the pack adored her, she would be a good fit and hopefully one day Val's son would lead the pack, like his dad should've.

I was glad he had a left a piece of himself before he left, a reminder that he was here, and he lived, even if his life was the messiest, he lived. I chuckled to that thought as alpha Cornell walked over to me. "Come to say goodbye Larue?" He asked with a booming masculine voice, it was all the alcohol he'd been drinking. "I came to kiss my lover goodbye, and then I realized I don't have one." I asserted and we both chuckled to that. "Well you could always just give that kiss to your uncle kiddo, because he's sure gonna miss you." Cornell replied as I hugged him tightly. "I'm gonna miss you too uncle, all the bickering and snide sexual comments, plus the three am dirty talk." I listed it all and we both laughed.

"You make it sound like we have an illicit relationship." He argued as we separated and hugged again in our laughter. "Maybe we do." I stated and he laughed again. "Tell Jude I want my imported Flying Fish, and my Three ships whiskey." He exclaimed and I rolled my eyes. "Im telling him to send you water and cereals, the alcohol you've had enough." I told him and he sighed pulling away. "I know kiddo, it numbs everything but I can't lose myself to alcoholism at this age, you'll never let me live it down when I'm out of rehab." He joked and we both laughed at that one. "You know I'd never, take care of yourself uncle, they need you now more than ever, I love you." I muttered as I hugged him and I felt his lips press a kiss on my cheek. "I love you too kiddo, have fun out there, make sure Kaya enjoys being the older brother, it's the only chance he'll get before being roped into babysitting his younger siblings." He added and we laughed as I squeezed his hand and let go.

In as much as I wanted to say goodbye to Xi, I needed to leave without causing a stir so I pressed a gentle kiss on my uncles lips and left. "Couldn't leave without getting one huh, I know I'm sexy." He called out through the mind link. "See you later three am lover." I replied with a smile, I was starting to believe whoever said I had way too many men, they may have been onto something. I made my way to my car, once I was on the road I sped off toward my house, until our parents came back with my other siblings Rhiner would live at my house whilst Lexi and Marquis lived at our childhood home, that way, both houses were taken care of.