08.

Xander.

"No please, noo— ah!" I tore off the head of the shooter who had shot the little boy, it was satisfying killing them because I knew they wouldn't hurt anyone anymore. I stood before the last one, he was covered in blood and dirt, a sign of the many wolves he'd killed. His eyes were crazed, there was no saving him, and I had no mercy to give today, that's why heads and hearts were spread all over the forest floor in bloody pools. "Don't you want to know who sent us, why kill these so called innocent filth that betrayed the cause." He spat as his eyes looked into mine, my wolf surfaced and I saw fear register in his. "No, die." My wolf growled out as my claws extended and tore off not just just his head but his whole body. "Canvas the area and past the city limits, if there are more out there, do not show mercy, kill without question or remorse, save those who truly are escaping." I ordered my bloodthirsty pack warriors and howls echoed in the forest as they went on the hunt, whoever was doing this, should fear me.

I walked back to the pack nucleus, passing past the tree line I could see many of the pack members helping the rogues, food, blankets, water, it was a sight I'd never forget, we were all children of the Goddess, and helping each other in times like these, it was the best we could do. Alexis was the first one to notice me, as his head turned toward me with my bloody hands I squirmed, next was Val— surprisingly, he was there helping, though separately since my family was also there avoiding him, it was a problem for another day, taking a step forward the rogues noticed me, a woman stood up, her hair filled with dirt, she limped her way toward me but it seemed she had underestimated her body's strength, when she was close she tumbled but I quickly caught her. "Thank you—." I heard her choke out as more of her people made their way to us, they fell to their knees. "Thank you." I heard them chant. "Thank you alpha." They cried, tears I never thought many would let fall for gratitude toward me. "Thank you alpha." The woman who I held up let go of my hands and knelt down to touch my feet. "Thank you alpha, we are forever grateful." She stated as I fell to my knees and embraced her.

"It's alright, you are safe here." I told her in turn telling everyone else. "Everyone welcome to the Hollow Creek, please get help." I told them as they finally were led away. "Maisie!" One woman cried out as the warriors came from the forest with more rogues who seem to have been running. "Alpha we found a rogue blockade, it seems they were blocking the way from neutral territory into our pack, when we killed the rogues many of them ran to us." A warrior explained as now almost a hundred or more wolves came from the tree line. "Please don't." I begged them but the moment they were told I was alpha, they ran to me and fell to their knees, thanking me, over and over again. "Xander, these are our people." Dad exclaims and I'm stunned. "Dad, what do you mean?" I questioned right then as we both knelt down next to the middle aged man who seemed ragged, clothes torn and eyes filled with tears.

"Tell me, where are you coming from?" Dad gently asked and the man seemed to look at us with reverence. "Our predecessors come from the Akari pack, when the pack was burnt down, we were on patrol missions, some of us were out of town and others were lucky to not have been close to the pack, we escaped and tried to rebuild but it was futile, a rogue alpha forced us to his will, or death would be our end, we've lived in his captivity for a very long time, a month ago one of the wolves that belonged to our pack who had gained favour with the rogue alpha told us about the Amari— a true leader to our pack, he showed us the way to get here if we escaped but our plans were found out, we escaped eitherway, and forged on till we found you, alpha." He narrated a story that took the wind out of my lungs, dad was right, these were our people.

"Dad." I whispered as I held him close, both of us cried huddled within the people my father thought had lost, it was overwhelming, my father wasn't the last of his people, we weren't the last of the Akari pack, that's why I felt so strongly for those children, they were a part of me. After a long time of talking, tears and welcoming the people of the Akari pack into the Hollow Creek, we helped them. "The old pack house can house three quarters of them, the families that we have counted so far have been allocated apartments in the pack, Rhiner the head warrior has already commissioned the contractors to clear out a part of the pack for a new housing project, Alexis is with dad, pops and our cousins, they are ordering supplies for everyone, I've compiled a list of every accounted member of the Akari pack— here." Marquis explained as I nodded on each one he ticked off, I held the list of names as I read through it, the two children suddenly came to mind.

"We need to go check on the children I saved." I told my brother and didn't give him room to argue since I made a beeline for the med centre, it was now packed, thank the Goddess that the new one was much bigger, twenty stories bigger meaning it could cater for a lot of the pack, the old med center would be changed into a clinic, Jude had suggested it be demolished but I wanted it to be a children's clinic, even though the hospital would have a pediatric ward almost two floors, I still wanted the children's clinic to get built. "How are they Sir Ron?" I questioned the man as he was checking the children's vitals. "They are going to be okay, anyone come forward for them?" He asked Marquis who sighed in what seemed to be sadness. "I asked around, these two are orphans, the rogue alpha killed their mother, she was the mate to the wolf who helped the others escape." Marquis explained and my heart ached for the two, they had run all this way with the others, surviving all this death and misery on their own.

"I will find them a suitable family that will take them in." Marquis announced but my wolf didn't want that so I grolwed. "Alpha—." My brother muttered. "I will take them." I told Marquis and Sir Ron who seemed to nod at my decision. "But Xander, they are a lot of responsibility." Marquis argued but I was set in my decision. "I've taken care of children before Marquis, need I remind you I have a son." I told him as he backed off with a nod. "Fine, but you're the one telling pops and dad that they have two more grandchildren." Marquis conceded with a joke lightening the mood but I didn't mind at all, I was okay with that, perfectly okay with it. "I'm okay with that, send someone to the city, we need to get a land extension approval from there, do whatever it takes to get it." I told Marquis as I looked at the two new members of the Nile family, they would be safe with me. "I'll get right on it." He replied leaving in haste, he knew it was imperative that we were ready for anything aswell as expand our lands to accommodate for the wolves that had come to join us.

"Things are about to get a lot interesting around here." Sir Ron mumbled as he looked outside to where pack members were with members of the Akari pack, mingling, talking and with the Goddess's grace, finding mates. "They are, but we'll be ready for whatever may come." I told the doctor who smirked my way. "They need you now more than ever alpha, your responsibilities just got a lot bigger, but I'm sure you can handle it, after all you're my star pupil." He added and we both laughed, I had support from my friends, my family, I knew whatever may come, I wouldn't face it alone. "Thanks Sir Ron." I mumbled. "Anytime."

+++

Saint Jay