005

SHE stopped skating when she reached the main streets of hawkins, a little strip where all the local business were. the rest of the group had caught up to her finally.

"come on, let's rent some movies for tonight." max said, linking arms with anais and pulling her into the video shop where steve and robin worked.

they walked in and felt the fan blow on to them. some girls stood around the counter, giggling and twirling their hair at something a boy with stupidly good hair said to them. another girl next to him sat with her arms pressed on to the counter and an annoyed expression. she had her hair in a high bun with some strays sticking out of it. she fanned herself with a movie case before swatting it at the boy and making him flinch.

"okay dingus, enough of the flirting." she spoke, dropping the movie case on the counter and looking over at the party who stood at the door. robin nodded in acknowledgment at them before steve leaned over. "does that kid look familiar to you?"

"who?" robin asked, picking at the cuticles on her nails.

"the dark skin one with the bangs."

robin looked up since she had only taken a glance at her before. she examined the girl a bit more before doing a slight gasp. "shit, that's anais higgins."

"who?" steve asked.

robin rolled her eyes and slapped the back of his head before picking up a magazine from under the counter. she pointed out anais who held a mic in one hand and a boy's tie in the other. front page of seventeen magazine with a tabloid titled "rockstar on leave".

steve gasped. "oh my god it's anais higgins!"

"no shit-"

"hey guys!" max said a bit enthusiastically, she waved over to the two behind the counter who waved back but kept their eyes on the dark skin girl with the piercings. anais saw the expression on their face- which was confusion- before laughing.

"this is my friend, she just moved here." max tugged anais forward a bit to the counter. "anais, this is steve and robin. steve snd robin, this is anais."

without taking his eyes off her steve padded the counter frantically making robin roll her eyes. he picked up the magazine and turned it to anais, pointing at her picture rather aggressively. "is this you?"

anais gave an awkward smile and nodded. "in the flesh."

steve jumped up and down, squealing like a fan girl- much similar to dustin's reaction. "oh my god i love your music so much-"

robin cleared her throat and scratched behind her ear, singling to steve he was making an idiot out of himself.

he cleaned his throat back before shaking anais' hand. "i mean, yeah your music's cool or whatever."

anais shook his hand and laughed before turning away to look for some movies. when she wasn't looking steve silently screamed and jumped up and down, mouthing to robin "anais june higgins just touched my hand!!"

robin slapped the side of his head. "ouch!"

"will you stop fangirling over a 15 year old girl? my god aren't you embarrassed?"

"i'm not embarrassed," steve said, fixing the collar of his jeans jacket.

she rolled her eyes. "you should be."

the two began to bicker while anais walked to the action shelf of the store. she popped a piece of gum into her mouth, chewing it and smiling to herself when she saw the karate kid on the third shelf. she picked up the cd case, looking up when mike came to stand next to her. he stared at the shelf, then down to the cd she had in her hand.