Chapter Thirteen

The long hallways and staircases all differed in condition

The long hallways and staircases all differed in condition. Some were torn apart by the destruction of the castle while others stayed just as pristine. 

As she wandered the halls, she tried to decipher which crack in the floor was from the castle's old age or a fight.  The little game she had crafted for herself helped to sway the boredom. 

The group split as quickly as they joined for the tender hug. Alucard, off to be in solitude, and Trevor and Sypha, off somewhere in the castle to be lovers. 

Y/N felt it was wrong to try and wade in the shadows of any of her companions. She wanted to give Alucard his time to mourn and while she was close to the couple she felt misplaced when they decided to show their affections to one another.

Not to mention her feelings for everyone in the group were quite troublesome. She had grown so fond of all of them and yet she felt as if she only scratched the surface of what each of them truly stood for. 

She wished for time more than anything else. More time to spend with the people she cared about, to bask in the feeling of getting to know someone. 

She heard whispers of Trevor and Sypha leaving to the next town. She wanted to join them, to explore what the three of them could become. She did not doubt that they were fond of her. 

Yet, the ache of leaving Alucard in his lonesome after the death of his father gnawed at her heart as well as her mind. Trevor and Sypha hadn't lost a family member and even if they did. They had each other to console them. 

Alucard had nothing. 

No mother.

No father.

No siblings. 

Without the group, no friends. 

She couldn't bear to leave him behind. 

Aimlessly wandering the halls brought her to a certain forgemaster's room. 

"Hector..." she whispered. The name felt so strange on her tongue. 

She hadn't said his name in a while and she couldn't remember the last time she had called to him in glee. 

Had raved to him about the newest thing that she had transmuted. 

The young woman walked further into the room and took note of how everything looked. 

She walked over to his desk, papers were scattered everywhere, dozens of discarded hammers, and a ribbon with a little bell. 

Y/N chuckled to herself. "You were always too consumed in your work to clean," she gathered the papers before straightening them out.

She picked up another pile of papers intending to place them all in a neat pile. 

Clink!

The healer nearly jumped in surprise at the noise.  She lowered the papers into the pile for picking up the item that had fallen and brought it closer to her face to inspect it.