Chapter Thirty-One

The healer paced back and forth in her room, in search of something

Where is it? Where is it?

It had been a day since Carmilla had shared the news with her. 

Hector would be returning to the castle.

Her cheeks hurt from all the smiling and her feet ached from all the pacing she was doing. 

"Yes," she whispered to herself as she held the coin up to her eyes. 

She dropped the coin into her pocket and went to the mirror to make minor adjustments to her appearance.  

Nearly one year. 

That's how long it had been since she last saw him since she had lost nearly everything. 

Knock! Knock!

"Yes?" 

Mariam walked through the door, "He's in the foyer."

"Great," she walked over to Mariam with a smile, "Well, let's go."

The two women maneuvered through the twists and turns of the castle. Before long they had reached the foyer.

Hector stood in the center of the foyer, staring at a portrait of the sisters. 

The healer slowly walked down a few steps causing Hector to turn to her.  

A smile bloomed on her face and tears threatened to fall from her eyes.

Finally

Her dearest was finally in front of her.

"Hector," she whispered his name for fear this would all be a dream and she would wake to another day without him.

The two sprinted toward each other and crashed into a warm hug. Her fingers dug into the material of his shirt and couldn't help but wonder.

Is he real?

Tears ran down her face like water sliding off a roof on a stormy night.

"Y/N," he chuckled in disbelief and tightened his hold on her, "How...?"

She sniffled and tugged him closer, "Just hug me."

All the healer wanted at this moment was to be held by the man she missed the most.

The two settled into each other's embrace, oblivious of the violent stares pointed at either of them. 

Y/N unraveled her arms from around his neck and pulled the coin out of her pocket, "Are you missing something?" 

He smiled at her and took the coin from her hand, "I was." 

She placed her palms on his cheeks and simply stared at him.