Chapter Thirty-Five

Buckets of salt were hastily passed through the hands of villagers

Buckets of salt were hastily passed through the hands of villagers. Spears, axes, and pitchforks were all dosed in the white crystalline. 

Greta and Alucard barked out orders while Y/N made lines of salt and barricades of thick metal. 

The monsters had come without warning.

The trio didn't know where or why the monsters had come but they knew that all they brought was danger. 

Before long the night creatures reached the barricade and descended upon the citizens like hawks capturing mice. 

Y/N skillfully sliced her dagger and assisted the villagers when she could. Her skin was drenched with sweat when the cries of villagers entered her ears. 

She turned her head to see the souls of the villagers flooding into the castle. It was a grisly sight with their voices seemingly coming from everywhere and nowhere simultaneously. 

When the numbers of the night creatures had dwindled a new monster approached. It took a deep breath before releasing an exhale of flames that burned the village and the people in its path to a crisp. 

The fire melted the barricades and decimated the area. 

Y/N located Alucard and immediately grasped his arm, causing him to look at her, "We need to fall back. The barricades are melting and people are dying." 

He nodded before opening the doors to the castle and directing people inside. Greta got the message and called for her people to fall back.

The two women ushered the villagers inside as Alucard took care of the last bit of monsters that were causing havoc. 

"Get inside!" She yelled to the villagers that were attempting to attack the firebreathing creature. 

One by one the villagers lost their confidence and ran to the door. Y/N followed in their suit and made her way to the castle, Greta stood in the doorway and was still flagging down villagers. 

"Is Alucard inside?" she asked the woman next to her. 

Greta frowned. "No, I thought he was with you?"  

Both women turned their heads to the sound of audible grunts. Alucard was attempting to fight off more creatures, he was so enthralled in his mission to protect the castle he failed to notice that the fire-breather was advancing toward him. 

"Alucard!" she called out to him. He hastily turned his head to her, "Come inside!" 

He slashed at one more creature before turning his and making his way to the castle. 

When he was within arms reach, the giant creature dropped its jaw and a ball of fire manifested in its throat. 

"Get in here!" she pulled him in by arm and slammed the door shut as a scorching heat blasted into the door, "We need a plan, Alucard."