Hope strutted into her father's office and plopped on his chair. She twirled playfully, easing the stress that came with sitting in one place. This was one of the perks of being daddy's little girl. Father came in a short while after Hope had made herself comfortable and had started reading. She sat in father's chair head buried down in her books as she flipped the pages of law reports, father sitting opposite her doing the same thing, his glasses only few inches away from his nostrils. Her head only going up whenever she had a question to ask him.

There was a knock outside the closed door and mothers head shot in through the door. Father looked at Hope through his spectacles and Hope groaned stretching her legs.

"Come let's go and cook for your father."

Hope packed her books and dropped them into her tote bag, following her mother behind grudgingly.

"Ah ah, young barrister, you're leaving so soon." The associate lawyers asked looking her over.

"Yes."

A female lawyer chimes in. "she's going to help mummy cook."

"okay. Cook and bring our share."

"Don't cook for Daddy alone."

She smiled not uttering a word, already recognizing the impatience and irritation that wore mothers face. Hastening her steps, she walked out of the building to where the car was parked. The citrus smell of orange hit her hard and she immediately craved it. Entering the car, she greeted. "Mummy Good afternoon."

"eh my dear, afternoon." Came a careless reply as they drove off.

She sat looking at all the cars that passed them and she wondered if this was the same woman who had been in a hurry minutes ago but was now hugging the free road like they told her to drive close to the gutter with the minutest speed you can. Hope felt like her life was slowly passing before her eyes and she groaned praying that this should pass her by. It didn't take long before people got talking.

"who put this woman for road?"

Hope hid her face.

"Madam na who dash you car?"

It took forever but they finally got home. The black gate soon appeared in site. The security men looked at them and opened the gate to allow them into the estate. Her mother sped off in speed to which Hope looked at her in shock.

"What?" the woman asked amidst the amusement dancing in her eyes.

"Hah!!! Mami?" she found her tongue as the woman she called Mother burst into laugh. Sometimes, she felt like spanking her.

They had finished cooking and were setting the table when a knock sounded on the gate. Hope waited for the gateman to get it but when he did not, she went for it after she set a bowl of washing hand water.

Through the peep hole she saw Prince, her brothers' best friend. "Hey," he said when she opened up.

"Hello." She answered still holding the gate in his face. "Junior's not at home." The action not allowing him to gain access.

"I know. Is your Dad at home?"

She shook her head gesturing 'no' for a reply.

"Mum?"

"Yes. She's in." she finally let him gain entrance. She led him I the way even though this was like a second home to him. "is everything all right?"

He smiled back at her.

She eyed him and walked away, but she didn't miss his smile. They were fine just like that. Mother pointed at her food which she took as she lazily strolled to the dining table, making herself comfortable but not too comfortable as she strained her ears trying desperately to eavesdrop on their discussion and only catching phrases like "when," "where," and "how." Standing up abruptly when mother shouted "Jesus." She rushed out looking at Prince. She gave him a look that reminded him when she asked whether Mother would know what to do.

"What is it?" no answer came just cries. "Talk to me now?" she half screamed losing her patience over worry and suspense. She glared at Prince who bent his head.

"They want to kill me," Mother said swallowing painfully.

It didn't make sense. Who?

"Junior, junior oh," she screamed holding her chest and writhing as if in pain before plopping to the ground rolling and crying at the top of her voice.

Hope eyes widened in alarm. Her blood pumping a little too fast and her heartbeat skipping. "What happened to Junior?" she was facing her mother but the woman was a hopeless mess. She turned to Prince and repeated the same question.

No answer.

She stomped off to him and gripped the neck of his oversized singlet. "What happened to my twin brother? What happened?"

"SARS took him." He whispered faintly like he couldn't talk. Like he didn't have guts. Like he wasn't a man. But yet she had heard him and for a long time didn't breathe or blink. All the horrible stories came rushing in like a flood. She remembered herself. She was once again 15 and begging, scratching, hoping she'd die. What would they say about him? What would they say about her brother Junior with his sprayed dreadlock? Would they say he deserved it? Would he look like a thief to them when his body would show up?

His body.... It was then the gravity of those words sat heavy on her heart. She screamed out the only name that saved her when she cried out for help at 15 years. "Godddd!!!" she screamed it like her life depended on it. She called out to Him really feeling like she needed to belong to Him. And she did. God please keep him safe. Protect him and I'll take you seriously. Save him Lord!! Her insides exploded with a myriad of thoughts.

She felt a hand hold her, softly wrapping her. She stared at him blindly, tears blocking her vision and only recognizing who it was when she heard him speak. Prince rocked her spewing words that held no fibre of life in them. Life would never remain the same. Ahead, all she saw were the crumbling pieces that would never fit. First her, now Junior. Death seemed a better option.

All she heard was mother and father's scream. She felt someone lifting her into a vehicle. Then the darkness took her.