An End and a Beginning

It was only a week later that Quil joined the pack. He shocked us all by being excited about it. He was glad to have his friends back and to be in the know, being a wolf was just an added bonus to him. He thought being a part of the supernatural was the coolest thing ever and being part of it with his friends was just the cherry on top. He was cocky boy and he definitely made things interesting when he hung around the house with the others.

This week is Spring break and I have seen more of my sister in the last few weeks than when we lived in the same house. She was over while Jacob was on patrol and as soon as he arrived they would leave. Even though we both knew everything now there was still no communication. It was if she was using this as something else to hate me for. She talked as little as possible and mainly stuck to TV when she was here to wait for Jacob. Sam was a little uneasy about the time she spent here at the house because he feared that if Victoria did find her here on the rez it would bring her straight to me.

The only good thing about this was that dad was around more. He would either have dinner with the Blacks or he would stop over here. He and Sam really got along and I was glad. You always heard the horror stories of how the father or mother-in-law would hate the son or daughter-in-law, but thankfully that was not the case for us. Allison came over all the time with Natalie to help with wedding plans or even to help cook for the boys.

I was just starting lunch when the door bell rang. I made a move for the door, but stopped when Sam said he got it.

"Morning Charlie. How are you doing today?" Sam asked and I smiled as I peeked around the corner at my father.

"I'm doing fine. I just wanted to talk with you and Sunny about something." He said gruffly.

"Well then come on in. You can stay for lunch, it will be done in a little bit." I said and dad smiled. Sam moved out of the way to let dad inside.

"So what's on your mind?" I asked as I got all of us a drink and set them on the table.

"I was wondering if you and Sam had gotten wedding bands yet." Dad said and we shook our heads.

"We're planning to go to Port Angeles and look at rings in a few weeks." Sam said and dad nodded.

"Well I went through some of the things that I had inherited when my parents died." Dad said and I wondered where this was going. He never talked about losing my grandparents, the subject was always a sort of taboo with him. Dad reached into coat pocket and pulled out a small pouch and dropped it's contents into his hand.

"These are your grandparents' wedding rings. They wore them for forty five years of marriage." Dad said and I felt the tears in my eyes at the gesture dad was suggesting to us.

"I thought the two of you could talk it over and if you would like I would be happy to give you the rings." Dad said as he looked between the two of us. I didn't remember much about my grandparents because they had died when I was barely eight, but from what I do remember they loved each other dearly. I looked at Sam and seemed to be thinking hard about this.

"We'll talk about it later." I said and stood from my seat and moved around the table to hug dad.

"Thank you for the suggestion, it means a lot." I said and dad cleared his throat roughly. He didn't want to show affection in front Sam, fearing Sam would think him soft.

"You're welcome." He said and the oven beeped saving him from further confrontation with an emotional discussion.

"There's something else I was hoping to discuss with you, Sam." Dad said as he finished his lunch. He seemed more at ease now so I knew it had nothing to do with anything that would need emotion.