An Enemy

The last few weeks have been busy. Bella was almost constantly on the rez and stringing Jacob along. He had come to the house one day angry and wanting to talk with me. Apparently while they had been talking they had got onto the subject of Bella's eventually change from human to vampire. Jacob had been reluctantly accepting that Bella would be leaving him for that life, but what had thrown him over the edge was when she told him that she would be changed after graduation. Graduation was only three weeks away. He told me that he had even kissed her to show her and make her realize her feelings for him, but she had only pulled back and broken her hand when she punched him. He feared her changing and the idea that she would be gone within a month scared the hell out of him.

He begged me to talk to her, to try and make her change her mind. To get her to give him more time to changed her mind. He left angrier than he had come when I told him I wouldn't. I had tried to convince my sister and found that too much was at stake if she changed her mind. It could cause all of our deaths, and I wouldn't get involved with this again. This was her decision and she would deal with the consequences as much as I hated that they would also involve Jacob and the pack.

Today was graduation and dad had talked me into going with him for the ceremony and joining him and Bella for celebratory dinner after. Sam had been reluctant to let me go till Jacob told him that he and Billy were going. Sam would have come himself if he didn't have patrol, when I suggested that he change it, he told me no. Said you follow what you preach and it wouldn't be fair to the other pack members. I proud of him, he really was a good leader even with as much as he feared making the wring decisions.

Billy and Jake gave me a ride into Forks. The high school parking lot was full and we had to park along the highway. All the graduates where lining up while Jake, Billy and I joined dad in third row from the back. He held the camera he had given Bella for birthday in his lap and gave us a nod as we sat down. I sat next to him and leaned up to kiss his cheek. He gave me a small smile before kissing my forehead.

"Sam not want to come?" Dad asked with a raised brow.

"He would have come, but he has to work. Said it would be fair to the others guys to change the schedule around." I said and dad nodded understandingly. It was only a couple minutes before the ceremony began with Mr. Green giving a speech on how proud he was to see these students graduate and how he knew they are destined for great things. Then Eric Yorkie gave his valedictorian speech about making mistakes and learning from them. The usual speeches, both similar to what had been given at my graduation. The played the music as the eighty graduates stood from their chairs and walked acrossed the makeshift stage that was set up. We all cheered as Bella's name was announced and she was handed her diploma before she hurried off stage. As soon as she was off the stage I could see Edward and his 'parents' surround Bella. Billy and Jake told dad to give Bella their congratulations before leaving to beat all the traffic that would be leaving here soon. I hung back as dad went to retrieve Bella from the crowd. Bella looked surprised to see me.

"Congratulations. How does it feel to be done with high school?" I asked and gave her a hug. She returned it lightly and backed away quickly.

"Okay, I guess." She shrugged and looked back around the room.

"I have to return the gown." She told dad and he nodded before she walked back into the crowd.

"How long have you and your sister been at odds?" Dad asked and I looked at him sadly.

"She pushed me away when Edward left, but we became at odds when Edward and the Cullens came back." I looked toward the crowd and dad nodded.

"I'm not mad, Sunny. I knew there was distance between the two of you. It was selfish to think that after barely knowing each other for the last seventeen years, that the two of you would be as if there was no distance. I know you tried, Sunny. I'm not going to hold you to your promise if it is only going to hurt the two of you more." Dad laid his hand on my shoulder and I leaned into him letting out a deep breath.