Chapter Two

A few of the Avengers stayed for dinner that evening, and afterwards they gathered in the lounge of the Stark cabin to discuss what was to happen next.
You did not hear much of what was said, as you fell asleep sitting between Bucky and Sam.
"So, what? Everything goes back to the way it was before the blip?" Rhodes asked.
"Obviously it's not going to be the same, but yes essentially we try to go back to normal" Bruce nodded.
They started talking about what each of them were going to do individually, but Bucky wasn't listening.
He was watching you sleep, listening to the calming sound of your heart beating in your chest.
"Bucky?" Sam called him back to the conversation.
"Hm?" Bucky looked up to see all the others looking back at him.
"What are you planning on doing now?" Pepper enquired.
"Technically I'm still a criminal, so the government probably has unfinished business..." Bucky sighed, then questioned "what about y/n?" before the others could change the topic.
The others diverted their attention to where you were asleep with your head in Bucky's lap and your legs stretched out on Sam.
They sat in silence, unsure how to respond.
"She's only just sixteen" Bucky continued. "She still needs someone to look after her for at least another two years."
"She's a kid" Sam nodded in agreement.

"Did she have godparents?" Bruce asked.
"Nat and Tony" Bucky sighed.
"Oh... poor kid" Rhodes frowned.
"If Tony was her godfather... Pepper?" Sam glanced at her.
"I can't" Pepper shook her head. "I run a company, and I still have Morgan to look after... on my own now."
"Guys?" Bucky looked at the rest of them hopefully.
They all shook their head and muttered "no" under their breath.
Bucky lowered his head apologetically, brushing some hair out of your face and tucking it behind your ear.
"Maybe we need to call someone" Pepper suggested.
"Like who?" Sam questioned.
"Like social services."
"What? You want to send her away?"
"I don't see what other choice we have."
Bucky was watching you closely, and soon realised that even though your eyes remained shut, you were now awake and listening.
"I'm going to take her upstairs" he declared.
You were staying in the guest bedroom for the evening. The compound had been your home, but it was destroyed.
Bucky gently pushed your head off his lap, stood up, then turned to pick you up.
He carried you upstairs in his arms until you were in the bedroom, where he lay you carefully on the bed.
You rolled over slightly, and Bucky sat down on the edge of the bed with his back facing you.
"You were listening?"
No response.
"I know you're awake y/n" he chuckled lightly.
You sat up in bed, and he peered over his shoulder to meet your eyes.
"Promise me you won't let them take me" you whispered.
"Y/n..." Bucky sighed.
"Please. I don't want to go. I'm sixteen. I'm old enough to live on my own, surely?"
"I'm sorry."
"Why can't I stay with you?"
"I-"
"You'll barely notice me. I'll go to school every day that I'm supposed to, and I'll get a job. Then, I can pay for all my own stuff. I'll be so quiet round the house you won't even know im there..."
"I can't look after you y/n."
"But why not?"
"I... can't."
You frowned and hugged your stomach in disappointment.
"Please" you said softly.
"You need some sleep. We'll talk about it tomorrow, okay?"
"Fine" you groaned and lay back against the pillows.
Bucky leaned over and kissed your cheek goodnight.
"Night princess" he grinned.
He'd been calling you that since you were little, and you used to love it. But now you'd outgrown it, and he'd use it to annoy you. So you used your nickname for him.
"Night Bucket" you smiled as you closed your eyes and rolled onto your side.
Bucky stayed by your side until he was certain you had fallen asleep, at which point he returned downstairs.
Most of the others had left, leaving just Pepper, Sam and Rhodes.
"Is she okay?" Sam checked.
Bucky nodded, then looked at Pepper.
"Call social services. Tell them to come in the morning" he sighed.
"Okay" Pepper agreed, and made the call.
---
When you woke up in the morning, you heard the others talking downstairs.
Checking the clock to see it was already 10.30am, you groaned and rolled out of bed.
You fixed your hair into a bun and made your way down the stairs.
When you got to the bottom, you paused as the others all turned to look at you. Bucky, Sam and Pepper were there, along with a woman you did not recognise.
"Hello" she stepped forward. "I'm Karen, and I've come to help you..."
"You called social services?" you asked, ignoring the woman reaching out to shake your hand. They didn't answer. Tears filled your eyes as you felt betrayed.
"Y/n..." Bucky started.
"You promised" you whined before turning and running back up the stairs to the room you were staying in.
"Y/n wait!" Bucky ran after you.
You slammed your door in his face; he sighed and knocked gently.
"Y/n I'm sorry. Please open the door."
"There's no lock dipshit" you yelled.
Bucky pushed open the door to see you grouching in a ball on the bed.
He shook his head pitifully as he took a seat next to you.
You hugged your knees closer to your chest.
"I don't wanna go" you mumbled.
"I know. But there's no other option right now. This is what's best for you at the moment."
"Whatever" you pushed yourself away from him and off the bed, then went to the wardrobe and pulled out a bag.
Bucky watched as you gathered the few possessions you had there.
He got up and stood in the doorway, obstructing your quick escape.
"I'll visit" he claimed.
"Mhm. Probably won't let you" you muttered and pushed past him, heading downstairs.
The others were still waiting for you, and looked up again when you got to the bottom of the stairs.
You stormed out the front door of the cabin before anyone had the chance to object.
The car belonging to the social services lady was locked so you leaned against it impatiently.
She finally came outside after about five long minutes.
"Great. Let's go" she grinned and you rolled your eyes in disgust.
She opened the back door for you, and you scoffed at her. You walked past her and got in the front seat of the car.
She got in her seat and started the engine.
"You don't want to say goodbye?" she checked.
"Nope" you frowned, and the car left the driveway.
You zoned out, staring out the window as she started rambling on about something you had no interest in.