Forgotton

Cover Photo: Masaaki Komori ( https://unsplash.com/@gaspanik )

Standing up I begin to look around me, how did I get here?

Who am I?

I look down at the rest of my body, I'm sitting in the grass dressed in a black kimono adorned in fine stitching is golden spider lilies that grow from the bottom of the kimono reaching to my knees. The gold glimmers in the sun light that casts itself down on me.

In the distance I see a large building, there is no one else around me.

I'm alone

Something feels off, my head aches with a dull pain that only seems to grow worse the more I try and think about what is happening. Maybe someone in that building will be able to help me, maybe I can receive some answers and figure out where I am.

Upon reaching the gate to the building I see that around the building is a large wall, seemingly wrapping around the who estate. Taking the final step into the estate I'm greeted with a large pond and perfectly manicured lawns and trees, one building takes up the rest of my site.

It's quiet and serene, it feels safe. But in the distance, I can hear people speaking, from what I can tell it is two or three people. I follow the voices and as I get closer it is silent once again, have they heard me? I stop in my tracks, no unsure as to what I should do.

Once again, I'm scared. Maybe I should find others elsewhere. The tension of the silence now makes it feel as though it is way more than just two or three people, I cannot see them, but I can feel their stares in my direction.

Before I can make my hasty retreat, in a blink a figure is standing in front of me, nearly just two inches from me. Startled I fall backwards onto the gravel path. A breath is hitched in my throat as I look up to see a man with white hair scowling down at me.

"And who the hell are you?!" He spits at me. Anger and annoyance are riddled in his tone.

My heart rate is going crazy, and I open my mouth to answer but stop short. Fear is coursing through me as I sit, stunned by the sudden aggression that I'm now facing.

"Well, are you just gonna sit there or are ya gonna fuckin answer me?!" This time he bends down slightly to get closer to my face.

"I-I don't k-know," I'm stuttering now and from the way his eyebrows scrunch it wasn't the answer he wanted, but it was all I could provide.

"What do you mean you don't know huh?!" At this point a vein is popping out on his forehead and in the corner of my vision I can see others walking over to us.

At this point the man and I were in a staring contest and from the corner of my eyes I could see the group of people I saw moments ago walking over as well; most likely to check out what is going on. Most of them were dressed the same with differentiating haoris. But the burning stare of the man above made sure that our eyes stay locked.

"Senemi, clearly the poor girl is frightened by you, give her some space," a calming voice said, the man whose name must be Senemi scowled as he backed up from me. I looked over to see a man with a beautiful woman by his side. Half of his face presented to be purple and sickly, but he kept an aura of peace around him as he walked closer to .

"Who might you be?" He asked as I situated myself better to a sitting position as he stood in front of me.

"I'm actually quite unsure as to who I am sir," I lowered my head to the ground, the feeling of sadness overtaking me but was quickly interrupted as I felt him lay a hand on my head. I held in my tears as I looked up at him again. "I awoke not too far from here and saw a building, I figured it would be best to try and find someone to help," a couple of tears did flow from my ears and fell from my face as I looked up at the man in front of me.

Very quickly I noticed in his eyes, that are damaged they were slowly clearing up, his eyebrows scrunched, and now he looked at me more intensely as he pulled his hand from my head just for him to examine his hand himself.

"I-I can see better..." he brushed his fingertips underneath his right eye. "My child, there's something about you, a power of sorts, and you swear you have no recollection of how you've gotten here?" At this point he was on his knees in front of me, matching our eye level as he put his hands on my shoulders and all I could do was nod my head in response.

Has touching me cured some of the illness that has sunken into him? Not a lot, but it seems to have done something in the least.

"Oh, where are my manors," he said smiling, "please, call me Ubuyashiki, this is the Demon Slayer corps, and that group over there," he pointed hi gaze to the left. "Are fellow slayers and Hashira,"