Chapter Eight: The Floating Palace

So we're all on holiday. Were? A place named Marroway Cove. Cedric was desperate to go. I thought it was because we'd finally get Sofia's amulet since there are limited places to go on a floating palace but that's not why we're here. Apparently, there is a magical comb that he thinks will help him take over the kingdom. The comb controls the water to do whatever he wants. I only agreed to this trip because Cedric begged me to come. So that's why I'm here. We had just arrived.

"The princess may be on vacation, but there's no rest for the wicked, you three. Not when there's a kingdom to take over," Cedric came away from the tower window, "And we won't even need Princess Sofia's amulet to do it."

"Do remind me how," I said bored.

"Because I found another way. The mermaid comb of Merroway Cove. According to legend, the mermaids that live at the bottom of this cove have a magical comb that can harness the power of the ocean. Like this."

Cedric made some water appear and made a whirlpool with it, soaking Wormwood and (P/N). When is the lecture over?

"Ooh, if I can get my hands on that comb, the entire kingdom will bow at my feet," Cedric said smirking

He finally looked at me, "What's that look for?"

"Yeah, if you can't get Sofia's amulet, what's the chances you'll get this comb? And why am I even here? You don't need me for this," I said.

"Of course, I do. Because I have a plan for you."

"Can't wait for it to go up in flames."

"Oh, stop being so moody. This plan will work. Wait and see."

I'm only moody because this is the one place I didn't want to be. Because, embarrassingly enough, I can't swim! And my dad was lost at sea so I don't really like being near the water. Not that I'm telling Cedric this. He doesn't need to know. So, we took a lifeboat and some sorcery books and sailed away from the floating palace. We went to a cave nearby and Cedric looked in his books for a spell for the four of us. He explained that he was going to transform us into sea creatures so we can go underwater.

Oh, that's reassuring. He said the spell which then threw us unto the water! I panicked as I transformed into something else. Once the spell finished, I was officially a sea creature. I was a mermaid. But something wasn't right. My hands were webbed with claws, I had gills on the sides of my torso, fins on the side of my tail, a stinger on the end of it, my skin was now grey, and my teeth were sharper. I'm not a mermaid. I'm a siren!

Why am I a siren? I know it's not a big deal but that was an old nickname I had. Dad called me his Siren because he claimed I was beautiful and I had a voice worthy of a siren. I didn't believe him but I let him call me it anyway. But this form will have its disadvantages. For example, if I go on land, I will turn human but I won't be dressed. I've read enough about sirens to know about this problem. And I don't want Cedric to see that. Speaking of, Cedric was a sea monster!

And Wormwood and (P/N) were octopi. At least we'll blend in now. Or so Cedric thought. Doesn't really matter. Let's just get this comb and get this over with. As we swam around, we found the comb and someone else. Sofia. Something tells me that the amulet gave her the ability to turn into a mermaid. So, after some watching and following, the mermaid princess was soon alone. Cedric grabbed her before she could swim away.

He tried to take the comb from her when it electrocuted him and the mermaid swam away. I swam after her. It honestly wasn't that hard to catch her. Sirens are really fast swimmers. So I caught her and Cedric caught up. Cedric took her and we hid from Sofia who was chasing us. So, time to find a spell to take away the protection charm off the comb and take over the kingdom. Cedric did give the mermaid the chance to just hand it over but that wasn't happening.

So we took her to the boat where Cedric locked her in a cage and started to look for the spell. I tried a few times to convince her to just hand over the comb but she wouldn't hand it over. Cedric tried a spell to take the charm off but it didn't work. After way too long, he tried another spell. Didn't work.

"Look, I'm bored. I'll let you do this on your own," I said.

"But I need you," Cedric said.

"You're doing perfectly fine on your own. I don't even want to be here. So tell me the spell to undo this and I'll meet you at the palace."

Cedric gave in and I went back to the palace after getting the spell. I snuck back onto the boat and used the spell on (P/N) and myself. We're now back to normal. So I went back to Cedric's workshop and stayed there. I've been through too many painful memories today. But that's when things went really bad. A storm started and it started rocking the palace badly. But we then saw a mermaid fix it all and everything went back to normal.

Even Cedric who came back after his plan went wrong. Again. We stayed out of the way from everyone else for a while. But I didn't leave from sitting at Cedric's window. I was looking out at the horizon. Something I haven't done in years. I'd wait at the docks for Dad to come back, singing a song he taught me. The Song of the Sea. Once I thought Cedric left, I decided to sing it. Maybe Dad will hear me wherever he is.

 'Viento a viento va. El sueño del mar. Gira sin parar. Viento a viento va. Durmiendo al sol. Un giño de luz se perdió. Tu cuerpo se hace vientre, estatua transparente. En la arena oscura esperarás.'

'Viento a viento va bailando el mar esta sola voz se quebró. Pájaros de sal ciegos de llorar, vuelven a volar.'

'Viento a viento va. Este pequeño temblor que jamás grito. A la luz, a ardor, a la lluvia. A la paz, al aire, al final. Y así este viento va girando y así este viento va se fue. Y así este niño va llorando. Llorando.'

I looked at the moon.

"(Y/N)?"

I looked at Cedric who almost looked concerned.

"Please don't tell me you heard all that," I said.

"I did. I know the translation to that song. Are you feeling alright?" Cedric asked sitting with me.

I sighed, "no. I'm not. The reason why I didn't want to come on this trip was because of being surrounded by nothing but the ocean. My father was a sailor. He was lost at sea years ago before Sofia and I came to the castle. Just being near the sea reminds me of him and I'd rather not remember. He was the last person who gave me any feeling that I was important or that I was loved. Now the feeling's gone. And he gave me a nickname I'll never forget. It was what you turned me into."

"A siren."

I nodded, "I couldn't stay because I just want to forget the past but it's difficult."

"And this trip has made it worse for you, hasn't it?"

I nodded again and stayed quiet. Cedric held my hand and I looked at him again. He gave me a reassuring smile. And offered a hug that I gladly accepted. I think I needed that hug. Because it made me feel a lot better.