Chapter Thirty-Two: The Sorceress Ball

Narrator's POV:

There was a reason Madisyn's hair and eyes were different colors. She was sad. Her hair turns brown and her eyes turn blue when she's sad. It's not hard to miss when you get used to it. She was Laufey's daughter. And she knows magic but she keeps that a secret. You see, when Morgana and Laufey did what they did, the king had banished magic from Uzacan. But the king is dead now. He was poisoned. But no one knows who did it. Tom is next in line for the throne but, here's the thing, the Queen refuses to let him become King.

She claims he needs a Queen by his side to keep him right. With what, he doesn't know. So that's why he's here. He wants to try and win (Y/N)'s heart so he can finally rule the kingdom with a queen. But his chances are looking thin as (Y/N) is a sorceress. His mother knew this so she had an idea. But Cedric was infuriated that Tom tried to charm (Y/N). Granted, Cedric can't seem to do it himself but he likes her and won't let Tom steal her from him. Besides, he has a bad feeling about Tom. He seems too good-looking to be the gentleman he's making himself out to be.

But Cedric isn't the only one thinking that. Sofia is getting bad vibes from Tom. She doesn't know what. It's just a feeling. The ball soon arrived and everyone was having a good time. When (Y/N) arrived, Cedric was quick to talk with her. But I'll let Madisyn help tell the rest of this chapter. And tell you how she met the man who she would later fall for.

'Boy you got me helpless! Look into your eyes, and the sky's the limit I'm helpless! Down for the count, and I'm drownin' in 'em.'

'I have never been the type to try and grab the spotlight. We were at a revel with some rebels on a hot night. Laughin' at my cousin as he's dazzling the room, then you walked in and my heart went "Boom!"' Madisyn saw Greylock and fell hard for him, 'Tryin' to catch your eye from the side of the ballroom, everybody's dancin' and the band's top volume. Grind to the rhythm as we wine and dine. Grab my cousin, and whisper, "Yo, this one's mine."'

'My cousin made his way across the room to him and I got nervous, thinking "What's he gonna do?" He grabbed him by the arm, I'm thinkin' "I'm through", then you look back at me and suddenly I'm helpless! Oh, look at those eyes! Look into your eyes and the sky's the limit, I'm helpless.'

And she was helpless. But there was something else happening on the other side o the ballroom. Cedric had been watching Tom after (Y/N) escaped him. Tom was looking helpless for (Y/N). Thinking this was the best for her, Cedric asked (Y/N) to follow him.

"Where are you taking me?" (Y/N) asked

"I'm about to change your life," Cedric said with a fake smile

"Then, by all means, lead the way."

"Prince Tom. It's a pleasure to see you again," Tom said after speaking to Greylock

"Tom?" (Y/N) asked forgetting as she has spoken to a few Toms that evening

"Of Uzacan," Cedric reminded (Y/N)

"Thank you for all your service," (Y/N) said as she had heard that Uzacan was at war a few weeks before this ball.

"If it takes fighting a war for us to meet, it will have been worth it," Tom said kissing the back of her hand

"I'll leave you to it," Cedric said reluctantly leaving

(One week later)

'He's writin' a letter nightly. Now his life gets better, every letter that she writes him,' Madisyn said

Tom and (Y/N) had started to grow close to the point that they're started to fall for each other, much to Cedric's dismay. But he's letting his apprentice do what she likes because he loves her. Tom's mother saw this and decided to have a little chat with Roland

(Two weeks later)

'In the living room stressin'. Her fathers stone-faced while Autie's asking for his blessin'. I'm dying inside, as you wine and dine and I'm tryin' not to cry 'cause there's nothing that his mind can't do. Her father makes his way across the room to her. I panic for a second, thinking "she's through" but then he shakes her hand and says "Be true" And Tom turns back to her, smiling, and she's helpless!' Madisyn explained.

Tom's mother has gotten Roland's permission to betroth (Y/N) to Tom. And Cedric doesn't even know. Even if he did, he wouldn't approve. Not to mention heartbroken. But Madisyn was becoming helpless over Greylock. They had grown close too and her family supported it. They were perfect for each other. She was meeting up with Greylock now who decided to tell her how he felt and a few promises.

'Madisyn, I don't have a dollar to my name, an acre of land, a troop to command, a dollop of fame. All I have's my honor, a tolerance for pain, a couple of college credits, and my top-notch brain. Insane, your family brings out a different side of me; Tom confides in me, Tom tried to take a bite of me. No stress, my love for you is never in doubt. We'll get a little place in Rudesten and we'll figure it out. I've been livin' without a family since I was a child. My father left, my mother died, I grew up buck wild but I'll never forget my mother's face, that was real and long as I'm alive, Madisyn, swear to God, you'll never feel so...'

'Helpless!' Madisyn said smiling

Everyone was helpless for someone, there was no doubt about that. But Cedric was feeling alone. He had no animal partners, no (Y/N), and not even Sofia. She's been busy talking to (Y/N) about her concerns about Tom. Not that she'd listen, of course. She's finally found someone who she thinks loves her back. She always assumed that Cedric only liked her as a friend, not as a lover and Cedric was the same. How wrong they both were. But Cedric's sadness would only grow in the days to come.