Chapter Eleven: Why do they love me?

Today is mother's day but I'm not celebrating with Mum and the other kids. Why? Because she didn't seem to care when I did something for her in the village so why start now? Besides, Sofia is finally feeling the pain I went through. Amber and James were doing a lot better than her when it came to gifts and things. So, I'll let Sofia handle this herself. But then something happened while I was going to visit Cedric. Mum actually asked if I wanted to join them on their mothers day picnic.

She still cares but why when she's got Sofia, Amber, and James? The three people I always seem to compete with. I politely said no and left. Why does she care? She never did before. Or has she been caring this whole time and I've been blind to it? I couldn't say. But what have I done for them that they love me? I haven't done anything for them. Why do they love me? Why does Sofia love me? I've just neglected her. Besides, I could never compare to her in any way. I went to Cedric's tower to see him making something. Mother's day things. I just went up the stairs and went to the window.

"Shouldn't you be celebrating Mother's day?" Cedric asked me.

"What would be the point? It's not like they'd care anyway. They didn't before," I said.

"Well, I'm going to my parent's place for the day. I'm sure they wouldn't mind the extra company."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. Besides, they want to know how you're getting on with your sorcery."

I only agreed to go because I had nothing else to do and I did want to show his parents what their son has taught me. So, we went to a retirement home for sorcerers, sorceresses, witches, and wizards. Really anyone magic. It's called Mystic Medows. Nice place. He took me to the cottage that belonged to his parents and they let us down. And he was right, they were happy to have the extra company. Cedric's older sister couldn't make it today. So does Cedric have competition too?

I'm not going to ask. We sat down in the living room and spent some time talking, playing games, had some food, and had a good time. But I mostly stayed quiet because I was thinking about what I was thinking earlier. Even if they did love me, why? I've done nothing to deserve their love and I'm evil. Not that they know that, but still. I don't think I deserve it. But I can't stop them, no matter how hard I try. And this whole time I didn't realize that Cedric was trying to get my attention.

"Sorry. I was in my own little world," I said.

"What were you thinking about?" Winnifred asked.

"Just things that happened recently. Today, actually. Everyone suddenly seems to care about me. Mum, Sofia, everyone. But a few months ago, they didn't. This started occurring after Cedric saved me during a magic performance."

"I remember that night," Cedric said, "It's started happening to me too."

"But I can't help but wonder why. Why do they love me? They have no reason to but they do it anyway," I said. 

"Well, maybe they know. And maybe Sofia knows what to do with you both. She seems to be helping you two a lot," Goodwyn said.

"Yes, what to do with me. That's the question, isn't it? That's always been the question. Ever since the beginning..." I said, 'She looks for sympathy, I give her sorrow. She asks for honesty, I've none to borrow. She needs my tender kiss. She begs it off me. I give her ugliness. Why does she love me?'

'She yearns for higher things. Things I can't give her. The rush that music brings, I can't deliver. And even when she sings and soars above me, I try to clip her wings. Why does she love me? One more day, sir. That's what I need, don't you think, sir? Leave the hurt behind.'

'She wants the girl I was. Sister and friend. At least, she thinks she does. She needn't bother. Beneath this mask I wear there's nothing of me. Just horror, shame, despair. Why does she love me? How 'bout you, sir? Tell me what am I to do, sir? Leave the hurt behind.'

That's how I feel about it. I have nothing for Sofia or anyone to love me for. I just give everyone awful things. Cedric held my hand as comfort. I just let him. I still wonder if Cedric likes me back in any way but I have my doubts. It's almost been a year since we met so I can't help but wonder if he does. It would be nice but I'm going to wait for him to say something or give some sort of sign that he likes me that way.

I won't get my hopes up, however. After a few hours, we arrived back at the castle. Turns out Sofia managed to still have a good time even though she was jealous of Amber and James at first. How does she get over jealousy quicker than me? Who knows. But I can't make Mum think I didn't care this mother's day. So, I conjured up a rose for her and she loved it. Maybe I'll try better next year.