Chapter Thirty-Eight: Defying Gravity

(Y/N) met her family inside with Tom sitting on his throne. (Y/N) was on her throne feeling fatigued. The walking stick she was seen with wasn't for show most of the time. This worried Cedric a lot. It wasn't like (Y/N) to be tired. He once caught her in his tower singing at the window very late at night. She claimed she couldn't sleep and went to his tower because it had a better view than her room. So she's been known to stay up late yet still have enough energy for their lessons in the morning.

Cedric knew something wasn't right if she's resorted to a stick to walk with if she's feeling too tired. (Y/N) found some strength to get up and walked over to Cedric who was still holding Stephen. She said hello to her son and asked Cedric how their boy has been. Cedric told her all the good things that happened and Madisyn showed (Y/N) Jayden. (Y/N) was happy for the couple. After the family reunion, (Y/N) left for a walk. After asking Sofia to take care of Stephen, Cedric followed her and asked her if she was feeling alright.

"Cedric, I don't know. I've been feeling like this for weeks. Tom says I'm fine and it's just me trying to adjust to Uzacan. But I don't believe him," (Y/N) said

"Me either. But I want to make this moment last before Tom catches us. Where's your wand?" Cedric asked.

(Y/N) took it from her walking stick, "I never go anywhere without it. What's your plan?"

"We're going to do some magic just like old times," Cedric smiled.

(Y/N) couldn't say no to that. She missed doing magic with Cedric. So, while they were away from Tom, they did just that and had fun. But their fun didn't last. Because Tom had found them and took (Y/N)'s wand. He wasn't happy that she broke the rules again. He dragged them both to the throne room where her family was too. Tom yelled at them both for breaking the one rule that would have them both banished if the people of Uzacan had caught them.

But (Y/N) was at her breaking point with him and lashed out at him for scolding her again for doing magic in secret and making more and more rules for her to follow which made her someone else. Tom, trying to keep whatever composer he had left for in front of the royal family, tried to calmly explain that (Y/N) wasn't in the right state of mind and told her to stop and get some rest. But (Y/N) refused to. She had lost it with him. But he made her stop and scolded her again.

"(Y/N), why couldn't you have stayed calm for once? Instead of flying off the handle!" Tom said, "I hope you're happy. I hope you're happy now. I hope you're happy how you've hurt your cause forever. I hope you think you're clever.'

"I hope you're happy," (Y/N) said taking her wand back and putting it in her walking stick, 'I hope you're happy, too. I hope you're proud how you would grovel in submission, to feed your own ambition.'

'So though I can't imagine how I hope you're happy right now,' the two told each other

"(N/N), listen to me, just say you're sorry!" Sofia told (Y/N), 'You can still be with the wizard. What you've worked and waited for, you can have all you ever wanted.'

"I know," (Y/N) said, 'But I don't want it. No, I can't want it anymore. Something has changed within me. Something is not the same. I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game. Too late for second-guessing, too late to go back to sleep. It's time to trust my instincts, close my eyes, and leap! It's time to try defying gravity. I think I'll try defying gravity. And you can't pull me down.'

(Y/N) started to walk away.

'Can't I make you understand you're having delusions of grandeur?' Tom told (Y/N), following her with the royal family.

'I'm through accepting limits,' (Y/N) walked outside, ''cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try, I'll never know! Too long I've been afraid of losing love I guess I've lost. Well, if that's love, it comes at much too high a cost! I'd sooner buy Defying gravity. Kiss me goodbye, I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.'

(Y/N) looked at Cedric, "Cedric, come with me. Think of what we could do, together! Unlimited. Together, we're unlimited. Together we'll be the greatest team there's ever been. Cedric, dreams the way we planned 'em.'

'If we work in tandem,' Cedric said

'There's no fight we cannot win. Just you and I, defying gravity. With you and I defying gravity!' they said smiling

'They'll never bring us down!' (Y/N) said smiling, "Well, are you coming?"

"Yes, I am," Cedric said smiling and pulling out his wand

(Y/N) looked at Tom for his reaction. He still looked disappointed but he knew something she didn't so he just let her have her way.

'I hope you're happy now that you're choosing this,' Tom said

"You, too," (Y/N) said, 'I hope it brings you bliss.'

'I really hope you get it and you don't live to regret it,' they said, 'I hope you're happy in the end. I hope you're happy my friend.'

(Y/N) used her levitation spell to start flying and used it on Cedric. Flying high together with no one to stop them.

'So if you care to find us, look to the western sky! As someone told me lately; "everyone deserves the chance to fly!" And if we're flying solo, at least we're flying free. To those who ground us, take a message back from us! Tell them how we are defying gravity! We're flying high, defying gravity! And soon, we'll match them in renown!' the two said

"And nobody in all of Uzacan, no wizard that there is or was, is ever gonna bring...' (Y/N) started

'Us down!' They finished together

'I hope you're happy!' Tom told them

Because the people of Uzacan could see them from the palace and thought they were going down the same path Morgana took all those years ago.

'Look at them! They're wicked! Get them!'

'Bring us down!'

'No one mourns the wicked! So we've got to bring them...'

'Oh!'

'...down!'

But their triumph didn't last long. Because the spell wore off and caused them to fall. Cedric made sure they had a soft landing, however. Tom only chuckled and walked over to them.

"You see, magic is more than banned from Uzacan, it doesn't last long here. Guards. Take the Queen to her chambers. She's clearly confused and not very well. As for the sorcerer, I will let the royal family talk with him," Tom said

(Y/N) was taken away while Cedric stayed where he was. Something was wrong with Tom. He knows what's wrong with (Y/N) but won't say. Cedric will find out sooner or later.