Blessing

Jasmine's PoV

My stomach finally stops bubbling and my limbs start to relax when Taehyung's grandmother greets me warmly from her hospital bed.

It's just me and her left inside the huge VIP room, after she asked her carer to wait outside and Taehyung to get us warm citron tea, which only let me to believe that she wanted us to be alone as much as I did, though our reasons may differ.

I've expected a tough, merciless, authoritarian woman, like one of those rich ladies from dramas, who scowls all the time and throws money at their problems and water at peoples's faces, but I'm pleasantly surprised to meet a kind presence instead.

In the midst of my panicking thoughts, I try to remember my Korean mannerisms. With hands still sightly trembling behind my back, I bow at an exaggerate angle, greeting her as politely as possible.

"Annyeonghasseyo! Nice to meet you, halmeoni."

She removes her glasses and smiles widely at me, breaking the ice between us, or rather melting it,  her smile so warm and inviting that it shines like the sun. It's also a little bit boxy.

She definitely broke some hearts in her younger days. One could easily tell she used to be an incredibly beautiful woman.

"Hello, child." Her honey—like voice exudes benevolence and it reminds me of Taehyung's, except it's more feminine and fragile. "Come closer."

I don't exactly know how close she wants me to get so I don't stop until I'm right next to her bed.

"Sit down, sit down, Jasmine." She points to the small backless chair behind me.

The fact that she already knows my name throws me off. Of course she does. Taehyung probably already talked about me. Jin as well.

"I wish I could've received you in my home, but as you can see my health isn't the best at the moment." She humbly smiles and her eyes fall on her intertwined hands for a moment.

I throw mannerisms out the window as I grab her fragile hands between mine. "Thank you for letting me meet you."

Her eyes shoot right back at me surprised, but not in a bad way. She instantly softens again and offers me another heartwarming smile, squeezing my hands in hers this time.

"I also wanted to meet you for a while now."

"You did?"

"Of course. I wanted to meet the woman who kept my grandson away for so long."

Sweat instantly starts forming at the back of my neck and on my palms, and although I've expected this, I still don't have an explanation.

"I-.."

She starts laughing, throwing her head back and I smile along involuntarily, without any idea why.

"Sorry, but I couldn't go through with it." She explains. "Your face was so serious right now, I guess I've still got it." She says, still chuckling. "You know, when I was a bit younger, I used to scare the life out of my employees. They thought I was this heartless chairwoman, and they weren't wrong. I had to be hard on them sometimes." She explains. "But not with you, darling."

I know my face probably looks warped from my undeniable confusion, but it can't be helped. I am definitely confused. Why do I get special treatment? From what Jin told me, she was tough on the people around her, and everyone needed to pass tests before earning her trust.