i.

❨𝒐𝒏𝒆❩freshman year

❨𝒐𝒏𝒆❩
freshman year

    Stares, whispers, looks of pity, followed Harlow Evans wherever she went. It was her fault. She got attention, and that's what she wanted. But now she wanted it gone, she wanted to be in the shadows again. Anything, to stop the looks that were sent her way.

Harlow pulled down her sweater sleeve, trying to hide within the grey cotton fabric. A plain navy blue backpack was slung over her right shoulder as she kept her head down. Once she made it to English she would be able to hide in the back and avoid everyone.

So she walked quickly. Her tattered converse buckled underneath her speed. As she watched the tiles pass underneath her, she forgot to actually pay attention to where she was going. With one step the geometry book she had tucked under her arm fell to the floor with a clatter. She groaned as another book fell, this one on her toes.

"Watch where you're going." A boy spit, only churning the girl's stomach. So much for staying invisible. Harlow looked up, her brown eyes melding with crystal blue ones.

"I-I'm so sorry." Harlow stuttered, bending down to retrieve her and the boy's things. Her cheeks stung red as several other students had stopped to watch the exchange. She quickly picked up the boy's blue English book, handing it to him. She then grabbed her own. The brunette tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear before glancing at her classmates. A couple of them snickered behind their hands, only adding to the girl's embarrassment. "Sorry again." She muttered before quickly making her way down the hall. This time making sure she was looking.

Harlow felt so embarrassed as she slid into an open seat in her classroom. Last row next to the window. Her leg bounced as she pulled out a notebook and pencil from her bag.

It was not long before the class filled up. Students chatted happily amongst themselves. Many of them had to catch up with acquaintances and friends about their semester break. Not Harlow though. She simply sat with her head resting on her palm and eyes peering out the window.

"You've got to be joking." At the loud scoff Harlow turned her head. Meeting the eyes of the boy before, she let out a soft sigh. Just her luck. Reluctantly the boy slid into the last empty seat besides her, slouching down in his chair. Harlow bit her lip, turning back to the front of the room. This year was already going to be a long one.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Harlow sat next to Malia Tate. The girl's only friend. Or the only person the girl felt comfortable with anyways. Kira Yukimura also sat with them, on the opposite side.

"Why am I here?" The brunette asked, pulling a sketch pad out from her bag. The three of them sat on the bleachers watching the oh so enthralling lacrosse tryouts. "I don't even like lacrosse."