14

Having Michelle as captain was different but definitely better. She didn't shout at you like an angry dog, she put the team first and not herself. The only person to really talk to Emily like she wasn't about to explode was Stephanie.

"Dancers, can I have your attention, please?" Chris said as he walked into the studio, Miss Kate by his side. "Miss Kate has an announcement."

"Just wanted to let you know that out application for regionals has been confirmed," she announced as A-troupe whooped and cheered.

"I'm really, really glad that our regionals application was confirmed."

"We're in. We're so much closer to regionals."

"We just gotta keep on working to get there and I know we will."

"I have a feeling that this is going to be our year and we'll win."

"We know what that means, it's game time. So get your game face on," Chris added.

"Regionals are in a month, so we have a lot of work to do."

"Get to work."

"Where's James?" Ava turned to Eldon as she looked around the group of dancers. "I only just realised he's not here."

"Oh yeah," the boy said looking around. "It's probably something to do with math- wait. Is that Deborah?"

"Oh my God, it is," she gasped looking to the woman whom James was standing next to. She was talking to Kate and Chris, who were now leading the mother and son into the office. "What do you think they're talking about."

"He told me that he didn't do so good on the math exam," the blonde replied. "Do you think her could be getting pulled?"

"I've known James's mum my whole life and there's one thing you know about Deborah, you don't mess with Deborah."

"Dancers, we have another announcement to make," Chris said with a sigh. "Miss Deborah. This is James's mother."

"Um, actually, Chris, with respect, I think this is an announcement that James should make himself," the woman looked to her son. "To his friends. I think that they deserve that."

"Um, as of today, um, I'm being pulled from A-troupe."

"What?"

"You're not in A-troupe anymore?" West asked solemnly.

"Nah, man. I'm sorry I let you guys down."

"Why?" Ava asked looking sadly at one of her best friends.

He looked to the floor. "Um... My math grades are slipping a bit. It's not a big deal, though."

"You know, I beg to differ, James," Deborah cut in. "They're not slipping a bit in math, he just failed his math exam. And he knew..."

"But we thought-," Michelle tried to negotiate.

"No! He knew that this was the consequence of that."

"We've known each other forever, like he's my boy and he's leaving now? Like, I never thought this would actually happen."

"It hurt, you know, it hurt to know that he wasn't going to be with us during regionals, you know? We need him. We do need him. We need everybody, even Emily."

"Regionals is an eleven-dancer competition. That means we have to find another dancer, do knew choreography, new transition, and given the time frame, I'm not sure if that's possible."

"And I'm sorry that it's come to this, I really am. 'Cos I know it puts you in a bit of a bind, but I don't feel like I have a choice. He's out. I think that I really am only left with one decision and that's to pull him out of the studio. I'm sorry, but that's how it's going to be."