Chapter 17

This is a little something I wrote. Probably not my best, but hopefully you'll still enjoy it! (This takes part a few days/weeks after the whole Mrs. March debacle...)

****
Lizzie woke up all of the sudden. She didn't know what it was that had woken her up, but something felt off. Something felt different.

She was in her room at Taylor and Joe's house.

Even though it was quite dark, her nightlight and the moonlight that shined through the curtains made the walls shimmer in a soft yellow.

Everything was how it was supposed to be, and still, something felt different. Still, something had woken her up.

Suddenly the door opened, and Lizzie immediately knew what had woken her up. Her mom was standing in the doorway, her face contorted into a wicked smile.

"Mom!" Lizzie exclaimed and buried herself further into her bed, "What are you doing here?"

Her heart was beating fast, and she tried to figure out how her mom had gotten into the house. Taylor and Joe had security guarding each of their houses, they had cameras everywhere outside. How did her mom get past all these things? 

"Did you miss me, Elisabeth?" her mom was just asking, not replying to her question.

Lizzie was hiding under her blanket now, desperately trying to block out her mom. But this hadn't worked when she was a child, and it certainly didn't work now either.

"Get up and greet your mother appropriately," her mom snarled, still smiling. The girl had seen that smile a thousand times, and she had associated it with pain.

Lizzie closed her eyes shut and prayed she only imagined her mom, prayed she would be gone. She opened her eyes again only to see her mom still standing there, waiting for her to follow her order.

"Get up, bitch!" her mom yelled impatiently, and this time Lizzie complied as if she was a robot. The fear of what her mom would do if she didn't do as she was told, was too big. Her bare feet met the cold floor, and she shivered as she slowly walked in her mom's direction.

Every step she made took more and more courage. She knew she was walking in a trap, and she was right. As soon as she was in her mom's reach, the woman grabbed her hair and pulled her through the doorframe into the hallway.

The scene began changing. Suddenly they weren't in the hallway anymore but at the ice rink. Lizzie was now dressed in a dress that was way too short and small on her. Her bare feet now touched the ice, and she shivered even more.

"Where are your fucking skates, Elisabeth?" Her mom asked her, her grip on Lizzie's hair still tight.

The girl wanted to reply, but she had a strange feeling in her throat, and she knew she would tear up if she spoke.

"And did you get fatter?" Her mom was now dragging her across the rink until they were exactly in the middle of the ice field. The ice was cutting into Lizzie's feet, so much she left a red line of blood behind.

"There I am leaving you alone for a few weeks, and you forget all the rules I have ever taught you? God, you're a lazy fat pig now!" 

With the last words, her mom slapped her across the face. So hard, Lizzie fell over and landed painfully on the ice.

"Do a Quad Lutz!" her mom ordered, looking down at her in disgust.

Lizzie struggled to get up, the ice too slippery without any blades she could control. Every time she was close to standing up, her legs gave in, letting her fall on the hard ice again. There was no way she would be able to do a Quad Lutz.