Chapter 14

This one-shot takes place two weeks after the last chapter, and Lizzie's ankle has now healed. It was inspired by my school time and one of my math teachers (you will know what I mean...)
Also this is a little mini series so there will be a next chapter for this soon!

****

"I wonder who is going to take over Mr. Finnig's class now that he retired," Thea said to Betty and Lizzie on a Monday morning.

Lizzie shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know, but I will miss his classes. The way he could explain the most complicated math problems and make them look easy..." Lizzie trailed off, thinking about how their teacher had sometimes even helped her with the math work her mom had wanted her to do.

Betty laughed at Lizzie's comment. "You only liked him because he had a soft spot for you," Betty stopped and then changed her voice to match their old teacher's one."I've never seen anyone so gifted in mathematics before, Elisabeth."

Thea nodded. "He worshiped you," Thea agreed."No seventh grader I ever taught had so much potential. In a few years, you will be called the new Einstein."

Lizzie laughed at her friends' silliness. Sure, Mr. Finnig had liked her, but he had never referred to her as the new Einstein. "He never called me the new Einstein, Thea!" she protested, "that must have been your imagination!"

"Maybe he didn't call you Einstein. But we all know he called you that in his head. He literally worshiped you," Thea smirked, and Betty still couldn't hold her laughter.

"Oh, holy math gods, how I thank you for the great honor of teaching Elisabeth Bellendorf," Betty spoke in Mr. Finnig's deep voice, and Lizzie chuckled.

"You guys are exaggerating. I admit that he liked me, but that's it. No worshiping, no math gods..." Lizzie smiled and shook her head.

"If you say so..." Thea said in between her laughter, "although I'm sure you're a math goddess as well, so it's only logical that you're denying their existence!"

Betty raised her eyebrows, and her eyes widened in pretend shock. "Omg, Thea!" she exclaimed, "You are right! That totally makes sense! I think we're friends with a math goddess. Maybe she isn't the new Einstein maybe she is the new..." Betty trailed off, apparently looking for a word.

"I don't know which Greek God was the God for mathematics, but I'm sure you are them!" Betty decided, and Thea nodded her head in agreement.

Lizzie rolled her eyes. "I think it was Athena," Lizzie told her friends and shook her head, "but I can assure you, I'm not Athena."

Thea and Betty only looked at her suspiciously. "We don't believe you, Athena!" Thea announced, "But luckily, we don't care who you are because we love you either way!"

Lizzie smiled at her two best friends, who had always accepted her the way she was, and followed them into the classroom for their first math class with their new teacher.

Their new teacher was already sitting at her desk. She was probably in her mid-forties. Her brown hair was pulled back into a tight bun, and she looked very strict in her pencil skirt with the matching blazer. Lizzie couldn't help but think the teacher looked a little bit like her mom and shifted in her seat uncomfortably.

The three girls had been the last students to arrive, and even though the bell hadn't even rung, the woman had apparently waited for them.

"Well... I'm so grateful you three girls finally decided to grace us with your presence. We have been waiting for you," she snarled.

"But the bell hasn't even rung yet..." Betty protested, and the teacher cut her off with a hand gesture.

"I don't care if the bell has rung or not. In this room I start and end the lesson, is this clear?" She was now standing right in front of their desks, and Lizzie quickly nodded her head. Only a few minutes into class and she was already terrified of this woman.