Chapter 18

This chapter takes place during the last one-shot Laura wrote. The family is on vacation and while Taylor and Joe have a romantic night for themselves, Lizzie faces some of her fears. I hope you like it! It's extra long!

Lizzie was sitting in the alcove by the window, the first book of the Hunger Games series in her hand. She had read quite a bit of it the last two days, but today she couldn't seem to concentrate on Katniss's struggles to survive.

She let her eyes wander to the view out of her window and saw the other kids playing with Patrick by the pool. She smiled when Luca made a huge cannonball and got Nora all wet - the twins barely ever stopped teasing each other.

Lizzie stared out into the width of the garden and let her mind wander. They were currently on vacation in Italy, staying in a villa, just outside of Verona. Lizzie had never been on a real vacation before, and so far it had been amazing.

"Hey, you," A knock on her door and Taylor's voice brought her back to reality. She saw Taylor standing in her doorway, in a beautiful light blue striped dress.

"You look... you look... so pretty," Lizzie smiled and stood up from her alcove to admire Taylor and her dress at close range.

"Are you sure you're going to be alright here?" Taylor asked and Lizzie forced herself not to let her face fall. Taylor and Joe had planned to go out tonight to visit the Opera in Verona, and even though Lizzie was very happy for them to get some "alone time" she couldn't help but feel scared. 

"Of course, I will be!" She answered quickly, knowing it would be selfish of her to let Taylor know she was afraid. "Patrick and Henry are really fun. I like Elisabeth and Richard too - she makes good cocoa, just like Joe."

Lizzie tried to smile even wider. It wasn't a lie - everyone in Taylor and Joe's family was kind to her, and they had all accepted her into the family, but she barely knew them. She knew she wouldn't feel safe staying here without Joe and Taylor, but she didn't want Taylor to know that. It would be okay.

"I'll really be okay," She tried to convince not only Taylor but herself. "When are you getting back?" Lizzie bit her tongue and cursed herself. She hadn't meant to ask this question, she hadn't meant to show Taylor she was afraid.

"I... I can stay here," Taylor suggested, "If it's too much for you - that's okay. Maybe it was too much to ask of you, that it would be okay to leave you with other people in an unfamiliar place."

"No! I'll truly be fine!" Lizzie said, even though she wanted nothing more than to beg Taylor to stay here with her. But she knew it wouldn't be fair. "Besides - you have to go out when you're looking so pretty." She forced a smile again. "It'll be okay. I will be fine. I promise. I can call you or text you if something happens, or it's all too much for me. Which it won't be."

She knew Taylor and Joe deserved to go out, they deserved a break from all the craziness that came with having five kids. And Lizzie knew she had added a lot to this craziness since the two of them took her in. And even though they always told her she was a part of the family now, they could still decide she was too much work. Lizzie didn't want that to happen. She would let Taylor and Joe have a nice, quiet evening - no matter how much strength it would cost her.

"I'm in a really good part of my book, and I will just get to bed and read if I can't sleep," Lizzie said and then added, "But I will be able to. Truly. I'm feeling okay. I just think I'm not used to the heat, that's all."

It was an especially hot spring in Italy, and Lizzie knew that it was a perfect excuse. Even though she preferred the heat over the cold ten times - the many hours forced on the ice let her appreciate the warmth more.