Le Morte d'Arthur [1]

Arwen wasn't sure what to think when she and Gaius were both summoned to the Council Chambers. It wasn't unusual, certainly, but the knowledge that it happened so shortly after Arthur, Merlin and some of the other knights returned from a hunt on which they went earlier in the day, Arwen couldn't imagine the cause being anything good.

And as usual, she was right in her suspicions. Listening to Arthur describe the beast which the party had encountered in the woods so close to the city itself was certainly an unsettling thought. Arwen found herself unable to distinguish which creature it may be from Arthur's description. However, luckily for all of them Gaius had no qualms with his own knowledge.

"The creature you describe has all the characteristics of the Questing Beast." The Court Physician announced, certain that he was right. It was that which made Arwen think it was time to jump into more of Gaius' books than she already had; specifically those dealing with the wildlife of the kingdom. It was only a matter of time, in her line of work, that identifying one would fall to her, and Arwen wanted to be ready when it came.

"Surely that's a myth?" Arthur questioned in disbelief. Were they in private, Arwen wouldn't have hesitated to point out that in their lives, myths, magic and legends weren't really much of a foreign thing. If she had but a single coin every time they discovered that what they thought was a story was very much real, she'd be able to afford the dress she'd seen on one of her trip with Morgana and Gwen to the markets.

"According to the old books, the appearance of the Questing Beast is supposed to foreshadow a time of great upheaval." Gaius warned openly, and Arwen couldn't hold back a small sigh. Why did it have to be great upheaval? Why couldn't it be unicorns and rainbows?

"Gaius, it's an old wives' tale." And why couldn't their King learn from the events of the past and realize that when Gaius said something is bad... It is really bad?

"Look, whatever it is, it's spreading panic. The people fear it will enter the city." Arthur didn't seem to care much for whatever the story about the beat may or may not be, his worry for the people shining through instead.

"Then we must kill it." Uther announced, and with that Arwen could agree. Whether a creature of magic or not, a large beast so close to the city wasn't a good thing either way. She only wished they had more time to know how exactly killing it could be accomplished. "Arthur, gather the guard together. You ride at dawn."

Uther's tone of finality signalled a dismissal for all those who'd gathered. Arwen spared a glance at Gaius, who nodded for her to go ahead of him while he remained back to try and talk some sense into the King. She did as suggested, joining her brother's side as they made their way through the halls.

"So, it seems there's great upheaval coming our way?" She commented, her displeasure with it making Merlin give out a small laugh.

"Great upheaval is a normal Tuesday." Her brother pointed out light-heartedly, managing to draw a laugh from Arwen who had to admit that he did have a point.

"You're right. Whatever it is, we'll handle it." She nodded her head. Yes, perhaps there was a long night of research ahead of them, but in the end she knew it would pay off. It always did.

"And then someone else will take the credit for it." Merlin added on, continuing to show just how normal this situation would be.

"We lead charmed lives, don't we, brother?" Arwen looked up at him with an amused smile, both of them bursting into laughter as Arwen linked their arms together and they continued on their way to the physician's chambers.

Once they reached it, it wasn't long before Gaius joined them. And their research begun. While Arwen grabbed some books off the shelves to search for any information she could gather on the Questing Beast, Gaius spoke of what he already knew.