The Changeling [4]

"I am not sleeping in the same chamber as you tonight." Arwen announced almost instantly as Merlin walked through the doors of the physicians' chambers. Her nose scrunched up in disgust as she waved a hand in front of her face as to get rid of the smell which followed after him as he passed by her on his way over to Gaius.

"Well, at least I got it!" He announced proudly, holding up a small white flower in the air as if it were a trophy. By the looks of him, perhaps it even was.

"Grown in boggy and marshy terrain?" Gaius questioned to make sure. It only had Arwen waving her hands in Merlin's general direction. If not, then how the hell did he get himself into such a state?

"In the middle of boggy, marshy terrain. Right in the middle." Merlin said in a prickly voice, looking at the flower in his hand with a glare. As if it was the flower's fault, and it had grown where it did solely with the purpose of making his task more difficult.

"You did a good job." Gaius said with an approving nod, taking the flower from Merlin's hands before continuing to work on the potion. "This'll sort things out. Hopefully before tomorrow's wedding."

"Will it hurt her?" Arwen asked as she stood from where she was sitting at the table, walking over to take a look at the potion Gaius was preparing. "When the fairy leaves?"

"She'll feel like a new person." Gaius said honestly. "She probably doesn't realise how much trouble it's been causing her."

"Good, that's good." Arwen nodded her head in approval, but the distant look in her eyes made Merlin suspect she hadn't even heard what Gaius said in the first place. "I'm going to get some rest. Tomorrow will be a busy day." She announced, retreating into her and Merlin's room before either of the men could even wish her a good night.

"I hate this." Merlin grumbled out to Gaius once she could no longer hear him. He hated seeing her so upset. And it wasn't as if Arthur was fairing any better. Both of them were miserable. And Elena was a nervous wreck. He couldn't understand how this could be deemed good for anyone. "We should be putting a stop to this wedding, not making sure it happens."

"Sometimes, Merlin, matters of the heart just aren't strong enough to overcome the obstacles." At Gaius' words, Merlin found himself wondering if that were true. If Arwen and Arthur truly couldn't covercome this. If this was really how it was meant to happen. He couldn't find himself able to believe it. It just didn't feel right. None of it.

It wasn't often that Arwen had the pleasure of being startled awake

It wasn't often that Arwen had the pleasure of being startled awake. Although, since their arrival to Camelot, she had to admit, it happened more often than ever before. Nonetheless, when it happened on that particular night, Arwen still found herself so startled that she clumsily jumped out of her bed, feet tangling in the blanket she'd pulled down with her. Although, it was perhaps fortunate, that she was already in the process of falling. It made ducking down and away from whatever she'd seen flying in her direction that much easier.