The Coming of the Queen [4]

Knights of Camelot lined up together in the courtyard of the palace. Beyond them and their ranks people and commoners came from all sides of the city, crowding together to get a glimpse. Courtiers stood along balconies and windows overlooking the area. Everyone had gathered and everyone knew what was about to happen. Anticipation coursed through the air, filling some with excitement and joy while others shared looks of concern and dread.

Those worried over the day's events and what might come of them should have only spared a glance at their king, standing on the stairs of the castle with his manservant at his side, behind him the closest of his knights lined up together. They all bore smiles on their faces, showing no sign of concern or doubt about their new visitors.

Not as they waited, and not even as the sound of hooves hitting against the cobblestone had all heads turning to its source, watching as a party of riders stirred their horses through Camelot's gates and into the courtyard. Men adorned in blue rose along the streets, and in the middle of their well-organized circle was a white horse, the woman riding it dressed in an ornate blue dress.

But all those curious to gaze upon the Queen of Prairene found themselves disappointed as her face remained obscured by a veil draped over her head to protect her from the sun. but still, they watched on as their own King descended down the steps of the palace and into the courtyard to greet the party.

Eyes kept jumping between figures in surprise. First as they watched King Arthur extend his welcome, shaking hands with men whose faces they soon realized were familiar. Men who'd thus far seemed loyal to Camelot now standing on the other side. But they also watched as one helped the Queen down from her horse, everyone straining to see as best as they could as the veil began to lift from her face. And as it did, a multitude of gasps could be heard across the courtyard.

But Arthur ignored them entirely, and instead made his way over to the person he was most eager to see. "Your Grace, you are most welcome." The King of Camelot said, trying to keep his smile at bay as he bowed down to her, and she curtsied back respectfully.

"Thank you, Your Highness." Arwen said in a gentle tone, her words carrying in the silence for all to hear. "It's an honour to be here."

"The honour is all mine." Arthur said, his eyes focused entirely on her as he took in her smile which he'd missed so much in the last weeks during which she were away. The sight of it distracting him enough for the smile to shift into a questioning look as she returned his gaze.

"Arthur." She whispered to him, noting that it was his role as the host to invite them inside.

"Of course." He said, shaking his head as he snapped out of his thoughts, clearing his throat as he regained his composure. "I have already arranged for servants to help your party settle, and once the treaty is agreed upon and signed there will be a feast to celebrate the years of peace ahead of us."

"I suspect it shouldn't take long." Arwen dared make a small joke, making those closest to them chuckle as they overheard it, the smile on Arthur's own face widening as he extended his arm to her, Arwen's hand falling to the crook of his elbow as they both turned to the main welcoming party still standing at the stairs of the palace.

The knights clapped happily as Arthur began to lead her up to the doors, Gwaine's seeming the loudest among them all as he shared a smile with Leon at his side. And while they were meant to pass between their lines without stop, Arwen still found herself pausing as they stepped on the stair where her brother stood, letting go of Arthur's arm long enough to share a reuniting hug with Merlin, not caring for who saw it.

"I'm proud of you." Merlin whispered in her ear, making Arwen's smile widen just a little as she pulled away to look at him.

"Thank you." She said before nodding her head back to the group which accompanied her. "I have a surprise for you." She added on, watching the joy spread over his brother's face as he spotted their mother standing alongside Ayana among the men.