Love in the time of Dragons [3]

Scouring through books that covered all kinds of creatures, both those of the natural world as well as magic, Arwen and Merlin continued to come up with no answers. "Small, with the body of a lion and tail of a scorpion." Arwen continued to mutter the words as her eyes scanned over pictures and words within yet another book, flipping its pages as she neared the end until finally, she caught sight of something which might be helpful.

"Merlin." She called out to him, turning the book so that he might see the drawing. "Was it in any way close to this?" She asked as she pointed to the creature that had caught her eye.

"Yes! That's exactly what it was." He said happily, making Arwen turn the book back towards her so she could read through the words written underneath the illustration of the magical being.

A small cough beside them caught their attention, eyes turning to Geoffrey as he looked over all the books they'd pulled from the shelves. "Can I help you?" He wondered.

"No, it's fine, Geoffrey. But thank you." Arwen smiled politely at the man before letting her eyes return to the book in her hands only to watch as it was plucked out of her hold.

"I wonder, do you know anything about this creature?" Merlin asked curiously, handing it to the librarian and pointing to the page.

"I was reading that."

"Ah, now that is the manticore." Geoffrey said in a certain tone. "Nasty looking beast, isn't it?"

"Yeah, you can say that again." Merlin nodded his head in confirmation.

"I believe it was first referred to almost a thousand years ago." The elderly man began to tell them what he knew of it, both Arwen and Merlin carefully listening to every detail. "The Ancients lived in fear of it, trembled at its very name."

"I've never even heard of it." Merlin muttered out.

"Why were they so frightened of it?" Arwen had to ask, worried about the fear it had inspired in the past and what it might mean to have one hiding somewhere within the castle.

"I can't say I know the answer to that." The redhead found herself disappointed by the answer. "I supposed that is for the same reason as you've never heard of it. The manticore is a legend, figment of the imagination." Geoffrey revealed, making the duo exchange a doubtful look between themselves. Clearly not. "So, erm... if you were hoping to see one, I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed."

"We're going to need more information if we are to get rid of it." Merlin noted as the old librarian walked off, leaving them standing alone amongst the shelves again.

"Now that we know its name, I suspect our task might be easier." Arwen said thoughtfully. It was different searching through the books without knowing what it was that you needed and having to check every page and picture in detail. Now that they had a name, they could pay attention only to what was relevant. And Arwen surely hoped it would be enough.

 And Arwen surely hoped it would be enough