The Mark of Nimueh [3]

Arwen had quickly reached the steps of the courtyard and leaned against the wall as she waited for her brother. Their plan was to meet there and look for a way to clear Gwen's name and save her life. However, as more and more time passed, something didn't feel right with her. He should've been here by now. Not sure of what was happening, she began to make her way back into the castle and towards the physician's chambers. Perhaps he had misheard her and went there? And her suspicions were confirmed as she found both Gaius and Merlin in the chambers, managing to catch some of the last words of what Gaius was saying to the boy.

"...he saved you from your own stupidity" The physician spoke, making Arwen raise her eyebrow at her brother as she closed the door behind her. It was obvious that, once again, she had missed something.

"What else could I do? It's my fault Gwen's going to die." Merlin tried to explain in desperation, angry that his plan had failed, all because of Arthur.

"Yes, but you don't prove her innocence by offering to jump into the flames." Gaius started to tell him, the words making Arwen's eyes go wide.

"You did what?" She exclaimed questioningly as her hand met the back of his head harshly. "Goodness sake Merlin, when I said we will find a way to save Gwen, you giving yourself up in her place is not what I meant!" She yelled at her brother.

"Arwen is right, you do it by finding out what's causing the disease!" Gaius said wisely.

"Well, whatever it is, one thing's for sure: Arthur isn't going to find it. He thinks he is so sharp!" Merlin said. Arwen wasn't sure whether this was the best time to vent out his frustrations about Arthur, but then again, she didn't know the full story of what had happened. "But even when I told him I was a wizard, he still couldn't see it." Merlin added on, as if it would help them see how foolish Arthur was. All Arwen could see in that statement was how foolish Merlin himself was, and she didn't hold back when voicing it.

"Do you really have a death wish?! Do you ever think Merlin?! What happens when you do the next extraordinary thing that saves his life, and he thinks of what you said? Then you'll see just how sharp he can be when you're sitting in the cells accused of practicing magic." Arwen scolded him in disappointment, making Merlin give out a sigh. He had thought about many of the things that would happen to him after admitting he was the sorcerer, but his sister's anger was one of the things that hadn't passed through his mind.

"Sometimes they're pretty hard to spot." Gaius pointed out, after all, if it were easy to find a sorcerer they wouldn't be in this position to begin with.

"Well, maybe I should go around wearing a pointy hat." Merlin's sarcastic retort earned him another slap over the head from Arwen, although this one was much lighter.

"I don't think you'll find one big enough." Gaius said and Arwen laughed lightly at the comment, but the amusement quickly died down. "Anyway, forget that. If we're going to save Gwen, we have to find out what's contaminating the water." Gaius said as he grabbed a set of keys and threw a bag into Merlin's hands. All three headed out of the chambers and made their way towards the underground entrance of the water supply.

As they walked into the dark area, Merlin was quick to light a torch that would help them see as they descended down a large and narrow staircase. Once they got down the steps, and made their way through the cave like halls, there was a bit more light from the fires set up around them, but Merlin still carried their torch as they approached the water supply.

"The water from here supplies the whole town. Take a sample." Gaius instructed as they came upon the water. With Merlin still holding the torch, Arwen pulled out a glass bottle from the bag that hung on his shoulder and made her way closer to the water. She leaned down, submerging her hand along with the bottle beneath the surface and letting it fill up. As she pulled it out and closed the bottle, turning back to Gaius as he spoke, a sudden movement from behind her made Arwen quickly move closer to Gaius and Merlin and her brother pulled her behind him in a swift motion. Her eyes caught sight of the ugly creature as it screeched at them before disappearing from their sights as it sunk back into the depths.