The Tears of Uther Pendragon [4]

The sounds of battle raged on beyond the walls of the hospital, and Arwen was doing her best to ignore them as she moved from patient to patient. Soldiers and ordinary people alike continued to flood into the infirmary, seeking help for their injuries and wounds. Just as anticipated, everyone offering help was swarmed with work, the injured seeming to come in quicker than they were able to treat them. And still, she didn't relent at any point, doing whatever she could for all of them.

And when he wasn't helping her with the most serious patients, Edmund had offered his services to the knights. While he couldn't fight outright, he could help with bringing in the injured, skilled enough to face any danger that might intercept their paths along the way to the hospital doors.

Every time she heard them open, Arwen would pause what she was doing just for a second, looking up to check not only who'd been brough in with which injuries, but also to make sure Edmund was among them. And this time, as she heard the familiar sound, she was relieved to see his face as he led a wounded knight over to one of the empty cots.

As the man was seen to by Guinevere, he let his eyes snap up, searching for a moment before they met hers. They both offered each other a nod, a silent communication passing on the message that both were fine and continuing on as they were. And once that was done, Edmund was back to speaking with some of the knights at the door, the group deciding their next step and plan.

Returning to her work, Arwen finished off bandaging a cut on the leg of one of the knights before she straightened up. Looking down at the basket she carried from bed to bed, she realized she was running low on some supplies. Meaning she had to go back to the main table and restock them before she could see to another patient. Turning towards it, she began to move through the crowd, brows furrowing curiously as she saw Gaius standing there, alongside her brother who was supposed to be outside with Arthur.

The sight of Merlin made Arwen push a bit harder, hoping to reach them quicker as she worried what his presence in the hospital might mean. She could see the two whispering to each other, eyes glancing around at the faces of those surrounding them as if they didn't want to be overheard. However, just as she began to draw closer, only a few steps separating her and the table, Merlin and Gaius' conversation seemed to end as he rushed off once again.

"What did Merlin need? Is everything alright?" She asked as soon as she found herself standing next to Gaius. At the same time, she began collecting bandages and clean cloth that she needed to continue on with her duties once their conversation ended.

"Yes, yes. He simply came to give us an update on how things are going outside." Gaius shook a dismissive hand, trying to sound as reassuring as he could. However, Arwen knew better than to believe her brother would have just left Arthur's side for a mere update. Not that she had a chance to point that out to Gaius as the man announced he had a patient to return to.

For a moment, Arwen debated following him and then the door opened again. Just like every time before, her eyes turned towards it, and this time she struggled to spot Edmund. Not because he wasn't there or because he'd been injured, but simply because he got lost in the crowd of injured people, this one much bigger in size than normal.

With a sigh, Arwen realized there was no time to question what her brother was up to. Instead, she rushed over, basket in hand, as she began tending to the newest influx of patients. With her focus dedicated solely to helping them, the woman pushed all thoughts of Gaius and Merlin out of her mind for now. And that was why, no longer determined to get more answers, she didn't even notice as Gaius snuck out of the hospital, following closely after Morgana as the Lady made her escape.

 And that was why, no longer determined to get more answers, she didn't even notice as Gaius snuck out of the hospital, following closely after Morgana as the Lady made her escape