4 ∞ Where He Sleeps

CHAPTER 4

CHAPTER 4

"Can you please give me your attention? I'm telling you a very important thing right now. You need to know this," Ariel said, nudging me with her elbow.

Taking my eyes from the book I was reading, I put my fingers between page eighty-six and eighty-seven. Ariel had another fight with her mom this morning. Earlier, she had told me it was because of that violin lesson her mom wanted her to take. So instead of letting Mrs. Davis drop her off at school, she walked out of their house and picked me up. I wondered if it was the continuation of that scene.

I loved Ariel so much. I did. But sometimes I really wanted not to be disturbed, especially when I was in the middle of reading an interesting book. It had nothing to do with anyone. Like the way Brooks was passionate about skin care, or Jane with her team activities, it was the same thing.

But just like that, I had to stop reading. With a patient voice, I said, "From the beginning. I didn't understand a word you were saying."

"So I just kept on talking and talking and you weren't even listening?" Ariel asked, annoyed.

"Come on, I'm all ears now," I said, making it up to her.

Looking me straight in the eyes, she slowly said, "Okay, hear me out first. Isabelle, pep girl, had a bet with the other members of the squad. Jane would not call me at eleven last night, risk being slightly scolded by my control-freak mother, and wait until my mom agreed to wake me up and let me speak on the phone if it was not important."

"Oh, that thing you mentioned earlier?" I said, recalling the first thing she said when she had barged into my room. It was about Athan. Ariel always talked about Athan.

"You're the only one who is not distrubed by this news. You just keep on reading that book I've returned to you." Ariel couldn't help but show her disappointment.

"Have you actually read it?"

"No, I didn't have the time."

"I shouldn't have let you borrow it before I could read it."

"I thought I could do some reading. You know how Mrs. Hell kept on telling me last semester that I should do some summer reading. I tried, but the beach was far more appealing," Ariel reasoned out.

I frowned. "Next time, I won't lend you a book without reading it first."

"Forgive me, okay?" Ariel said, putting an arm around my shoulder in consolation. "You're reading it now. Just listen to me for a moment, and I promise I won't disturb you anymore. This is an emergency."

"I'm listening. Go on," I urged her.

"So Isabelle has her eyes on Athan. You know how she always has a victim every once in a while? Personally, I think her mission is to date all the guys in our school. She probably has a list."