Epilogue ∞ Where We Meet Again

Epilogue

8 years later

Happenstance.

A time for paths to cross and for people to meet again. It feels vast, the idea of seeing another person in a place like this, with hundreds and thousands of people in and out of each building, carrying along with their daily lives. And for those few moments, when you're in the same place and time, that one.

A little way in front of me, there are two friends who are hugging each other in excitement, asking how the other person has been and what they're doing now. Stepping to the side, I walk past them, smiling to myself.

I enter the coffee shop, seeing only a few customers during this hour. It's half-past two in the afternoon. I find an empty table beside the window. It has a pleasant view of the city, calm under the heat of the sun. Feeling exhausted, I decide that I'll just tell her to order for us later.

My phone beeps.

I read the previews instead of unlocking my phone. She usually sends me multiple texts for one reply, and everything's broken down into a sentence. Her last text says that she's at the train station, about to get down the stairs.

A while later, the cafe's door opens, revealing a pretty girl wearing her high school uniform. She keeps her hair long, getting rid of the bangs when she has entered high school. It's as wavy as mine. Like her other sister, she's fond of makeup. Unlike me, she doesn't need to wear glasses, so her pretty eyes are something people stare at, especially boys. Even from when she was young, her blue eyes have always been mesmerizing.

"Did you skip class?" I ask her.

Kath shakes her head in denial. "They dismissed us early today."

"Proof," I tell her. She takes out her phone, playing a recording of her teacher telling them to go home early. How did she even record this? It's like she hid it in her bag or under her book. The video is abruptly—and deliberately—cut during a crucial part, which makes this escapade of hers suspicious enough.

"Mr. Amador was about to tell you to study for your exam tomorrow," I guess it with ease.

Kath looks surprised. "How did you know that?"

"He was also my teacher before," I explain. "He looks really old now, though. How is he doing?"

"I think he's going to retire soon," she replies.

I take out some cash from my wallet, handing it to her. "Order for us."

"What do you want to drink?"

"Anything you're having."

"I'm going to buy a cake," she hurriedly informs me, leaving her backpack on the table and running away before I can even say no. She and I have the same taste in food, so I just go along with what she will have when we're together.