26 ∞ Where We Let Go

Chapter 26

Chapter 26

"I can't believe we're only going to school so that we could all hang out," Jane said, stretching her legs on the floor. I was sitting beside her on the bleachers, watching our classmates gathered around in their respective groups.

"Seb and Joey are the only ones who are brave enough not to come to school." Brooks tucked her legs to her chest, letting out a yawn. Since the final exams were over, some students had decided to skip class altogether.

"They must be playing in the arcade nearby," Ariel replied. She was sitting on the floor, enjoying an ice popsicle. She was the last one to finish her ice popsicle, because she had told us in great detail how the canteen lady scolded her for bringing them to the gym.

Jane nodded. "I always see them there after school."

"It doesn't matter if they come or not, unless they want a perfect attendance this year," Brooks said.

Ariel laughed. "I doubt that's any of their worries."

I finished tying my hair up. I didn't have a mirror, so I turned to Ariel and tapped her arm. When she turned around, I asked, "Is it okay?"

"It's messy. You should comb this part," Ariel said, pointing to the middle portion of my hair. I pulled out my hair tie to do it again. Ariel observed me, showing which parts I should comb again, before giving me a thumb up of approval.

"Thanks," I said, securing my ponytail in place.

"Is that Ms. Liwanag?" Brooks squinted her eyes. She was looking at the other side of the gym, where a woman wearing slacks and high heels had entered the doors.

"It looks like it," Jane replied.

Ariel placed a hand above her eyebrow, observing Ms. Liwanag's movements. "Don't tell me she's our PE teacher now."

We all laughed.

"Now that's a great plot twist," Jane said.

Ms. Liwanag approached our class that was waiting on this side of the gym, near the whiteboard that was used for lectures and also as a scoreboard. When Ms. Liwanag got closer, she asked around in our class. "Is Micaela here?"

A classmate pointed at me, and Ms. Liwanag went over to where we were sitting. Ariel stood up, dusted her jogging pants, and sat on the bleachers with us. We didn't know why Ms. Liwanag came, but we always acted cautiously around our teachers out of habit.

Ms. Liwanag was holding her class record and a wooden stick in hand. She must have come straight from her class. When she saw me, she said, "Micaela, can you come with me to the faculty room?"

"Yes, ma'am." I stood up, nervously.

As we were about to leave, Ariel was the one who had enough courage to ask our teacher, "Is she in trouble?"