[Chapter 1] Was the rumor true?

Cale Henituse was known as the trash of the Henituse County. He was well known that it has reached every kingdom at the Western Continent. Some might degrade him and call him names and insults.  But those are nothing to him.

There are times that people avoided him in fear of getting thrown of bottles to them. Or simply get yelled at. It causes them to hate him for his trash reputation. They hate him for tarnishing the County and the family resides in it.

Everyone at the Henituse Territory hated him that it made the man cackle in amusement at times.

He was so good.

He was so good to the point that his trash reputation act exceeds his expectation.

If you wanted to fool your enemy, you must fool the people around you. 

Take Ron Molan for example. The old assassin had never expected such odd activities around Cale or had been never suspicious of his act. The former butler might think that the reason for his trash attitude was because of the demise of his beloved mother or the fact that his father neglected him and introduce a new woman on his life on the middle of mourning.

He couldn't be more wrong.

The creases between his father and him had been flattened out already before it crumpled more. He forgave his step-mother for entering his life unannounced. Even though the woman was not at fault and didn't need to apologize. He warmed up to his new siblings and they don't have any problems with each other, other than sharpening Basen in secret to trumpled their cousins.

They're are wrong.

Cale can't fathom the people tends to misunderstand the family behind the castle.

It was stupid.

Who said that his step-mother and him are not in good terms? Who said that he has terrible actions towards his step-siblings?

Cale had scoffed once when he heard a couple of maids gossiping in the hallway. It was a rumor of him and Basen arguing at the study. It was said that he yelled at Basen at that time. The subject of the cause of their arguing was not mention but they definitely heard him yelling at his brother and Basen arguing back.

That rumor spread to the servants of the castle until it reached the knights then to bar they spend their breaks to until it got spread out to the whole County.

That trivial rumor was caused by Cale and Basen's brotherly banter with Lily with them at the study that time. It was a bonding they shared when all of them was done to their roles. No one was supposed to know about it but rats do sneak everywhere.

"Cale."

Cale was suddenly pulled out on reverie when he heard the Countess called behind him.

This woman had caused him discomfort when she was first introduced to him. But the woman never gave up on him and became his shoulder to lean on when his father was too coward to face Cale. This woman endured everything for him. Told him that she's willing to wait for him. This woman didn't force her way to him than she already did. She even apologized for barging in his life.

He respected that. He respect her. That's why he can't forget the expression on her face when he called her 'Mother' for the first time when he was ten. It was a mixture of disbelief, delight and warmth. Her proper elegance as a woman crumbled upon hearing her step-son called her mother for the first time. It was a joy she couldn't express.

She cried while embracing him that time.

Cale felt a huge burden lift off of his shoulder when it happened. He was also sure he saw a flashed of his beloved mother smiling at him. As if his mother was pleased of him moving onwards.