29: Words

Allura came out from her hiding spot at Shiro's call.

She walked over quickly to see Shiro kneeling next to Lance with a fearful look. That wasn't a good sign.

"How did you break your leg?" Shiro asked alerting Allura to the situation but also giving Lance the chance to talk.

Allura looked down at Lance's leg noting the way his leg had twisted slightly, it looked like the position was painful and was honestly surprised that Lance wasn't in more pain.

Lance looked down, his bloodshot eyes heavy with guilt. "Cause I was upset." He shrugged. "And I hate it."

"You hate your leg?" Allura asked in surprise.

Lance gave a faint nod before he grabbed his trouser leg. He rolled it up and Allura heard Shiro's sharp intake of breath.

She felt herself stiffen at the same time.

Lance's leg wasn't real. It was a prosthetic.

He had lost his leg.

"When?" Shiro asked but he didn't seem entirely aware that he had said anything.

"There was an accident, I lost it." Lance answered quietly. "Druids gave me this one."

Allura's gaze snapped to Shiro, she could see the bright fear in his eyes and the way his hands shook ever so slightly.

Her gaze fell to Shiro's own metal appendage and then Lance's.

They looked to be made of the same material.

"How is it broken?" Allura asked as she knelt next to them.

Lance flinched as she moved and Allura felt guilt swell within her.

"Allura I -"

She caught his retreating hand with a small smile. "I'm not cross." She promised gently. "Let me help."

Lance stared at her a second longer before he shuffled she glanced next to him to see several pieces on metal next to him, some wires too and smaller parts as well.

"Sorry." Lance whispered.

Allura squeezed his hand getting a slight hiss in reply. She glanced down at his left hand cradled in hers. She could now see the light bruises and scratches that were in his skin.

"Sorry." She said gently. "I didn't mean to hurt you. Shiro could to help Lance I'll carry these parts."

"Sure thing." Shiro nodded seeming the snap out of his daze.

Shiro looped his arm under Lance's legs wrapping one around his back before he lifted him easily.

"We'll get you fixed up." Shiro promised softly as they started walking.

Allura carefully collected the pieces, the mice helping before she headed out after them.

Her anger had gone now completely. Instead it was replaced with the need to protect and defend Lance in a way that she had never felt before.

When they arrived in the medical room Coran was instantly with them.

"What happened?" He asked anxiously as he took in Lance's appearance.

"I punched a mirror." Lance grumbled. "By accident."

Allura placed the parts of his leg down, making Coran's frown grow.

"And I broke my leg... On purpose." Lance admitted his voice sounding so small.

Coran shot a glance at Allura who sighed.

"Lance's leg is a prosthetic." She explained carefully watching how Lance's grip on the bed turned white knuckled.

"I see." Coran nodded quietly.

"How you feeling Lance?" Shiro asked curiously. "Do you want anything to eat or drink?"

"I- some water... Please?"

Shiro smiled with a nod. "Sure thing."

"Well I can patch these up." Coran explained moving forwards to take a hold of Lance's hands. "But we will need Hunk's help to fix your leg."

"Is it okay if we tell the others?" Shiro asked making Lance look his way.

Lance hesitated slightly before he nodded. "Yeah, they can know."

Shiro nodded handing him a water pouch before he headed toward the doors.

Allura watched them closely. She realised that Lance wasn't like the others, they knew that her anger stemed from elsewhere. It wasn't a direct attack on them but rather it was from her frustration, her desire to always do better made her push those around her too far.

And she had done that with Lance.

She had pushed him too far.

"I'm sorry." She said into the quiet room. "I didn't mean to be cross with you, it's just that I want you all to do well."

"It's okay." Lance whispered eyes still low.

"How did you get these cuts?" Coran asked softly as he lifted Lance's left hand.

Lance turned his head away slightly. "When I pulled my leg apart."

The medical room was quiet.

It was becoming apparently obvious that they knew very little about Lance and the life that he had before coming here. They knew nothing of his time with the Galra, nor the accident that caused him to lose his leg.

Everything was lost to them, but they would understand.

Allura was sure that if they made a conscious effort to learn about Lance, they would learn a deeper story then it appeared.