56: Old friends

Landing back on the Balmera was nice.

Going back to places that you knew we're safe and that you would be welcomed back to made some of the tension in Lance's shoulders melt.

If that made any sense.

His gaze skimmed over the other paladins.

Keith was tapping away on his bracer discussing something with Shiro.

Allura and Pidge were talking about the crystals and how they could be vital to the rebels and all that.

Coran was standing by Lance's side jabbering away about how now, the Balmera looked so much more like he remembered when he used to travel with Alfor.

Although Lance had no connection to the old king is Altea, Coran made him a real character in Lance's mind and often he could almost imagine that he was there with them.

But his gaze was locked onto Hunk who looked more anxious than usual.

Lance worried about him.

He knew some of the problems that humans had when they got overly anxious but he didn't know what anxiety did to other alien species.

In fact Hunk's eyes did look more dull the usual. Was that something that shouldn't happen?

Was there a way to make his eyes bright again?

Was Lance the only one who had noticed?

Why was he the only one who had noticed?!

"Lance?" Coran asked placing his hand on his shoulder. "Are you alright?"

Lance shot him a bright smile. "Yeah I'm good, just wondering if we'll see Shay."

He had purposefully raised his voice hoping to reach Hunk who startled eyes snapping to Lance.

"Hopefully." Coran nodded. "After all she was a major part of saving this beautiful creature."

Lance held Hunk's eye offering a more gentle smile and Hunk forced one onto his face.

Lance didn't know what to do with this guy.

Coran mentioned something to Allura and the two started discussing that allowing Lance to sneak away.

He gently punched Hunk's arm who blinked at him confusedly.

"Why?" He asked tilting his head.

"My brother's used to do it." Lance explained with a shrug. "So... You okay?"

Hunk nodded but it was too jerky and stiff.

"Dude." Lance deadpanned. "Tell the truth."

"The Galra really hurt this planet." Hunk whispered. "And I'm part Galran-"

"Wow." Lance groaned dropping his head. "Is it a Galran thing to be depressing and brooding?"

Hunk frowned.

"Look, you're not the same as other Galran's." Lance reminded. "You're Hunk, the yellow paladin."

Hunk glanced away.

"Hunk." Lance implored but then Shiro was speaking.

"Alright team, we're here to relax a bit and spend some time building a strong alliance with the Balmerans." Shiro explained. "So, try not to do anything stupid."

"Why do I feel like that comment was directed at me?" Lance asked crossing his arms.

Hunk chuckled beside him so Lance viewed it as a win.