69: Rescue

Keith jolted awake to find himself floating alone in space.

That was probably his biggest fear a few years ago, but right now he had other things to worry about.

Haggar's attack was brutal and he needed to find his team.

But Zarkon seemed to have allowed Haggar too much free time with her experiments. The one that attacked them... If was like it could go through you.

Keith shivered at the thought as the flash of blue energy flashed behind his eyes.

Whatever that creature was, it was dangerous and Keith knew he was out of his depth again.

He twisted, his eyes quickly locating the black lion. Just hovering there amongst the black ink of space.

"Shiro." He winced as his jetpack activated allowing him to race towards the black lion.

Shiro would know what to do, and if he didn't they could work it out together. That was how things usually worked out.

Inside was silent, but Keith didn't make any assumptions until he had seen for himself.

But the cockpit was empty and the black lion was lifeless.

Slowly Keith sank to his knees next to the pilot's chair. "No." He breathed to himself.

He allowed himself time. Time to just let the thought of Shiro being gone to settle in his mind.

Was he ready gone?

How?

Why?

What was Haggar and Zarkons plan?

How could he change this?

Where were the others?

Was this really happening?

How was he meant to find them?

Shiro had been a constant part of his life. He had recommended Keith for the paladin program, he had supported him through both the highs and lows of his life.

He owed Shiro everything.

"I'm sorry." He whispered as he pushed himself to his feet, he hesitated tracing the arm of the pilots chair. "Be with me Shiro."

He carefully took a seat and took ahold of the handles.

"I know I'm not Shiro." Keith whispered into the empty cockpit. "And I know no one can replace him, but we're both stuck out here. We need to find the others so please, please let me pilot you, to make sure the others are okay."

A loud roar came through him and Keith honestly didn't see it coming.

He flinched as all the lights came to life.

Letting out a heavy sigh he placed his hand on the black lions main controls. "Thank you."

Welcome aboard, my paladin.

"What?" Keith breathed eyes flying wide.

"Ke-... Lan... H-k... Pidg..."

"Allura this is Keith, pelase respond." Keith urged as he tapped the coms, he felt hollow. "Allura? Coran? Please."

"K-ke-h... Kei-... Keith?" Coran's voice crackled through.

"I'm here Coran." Keith nodded. "Where are you?"

"Not too far from your location, I'm picking up on the other lions but I cannot make contact with them."

"Yeah..." Keith swallowed as he looked around.