52: Glares and Dares

Lance held the rebels gaze even as he felt Keith and Hunk either side of him shift.

"So?" Lance asked tilting his head oh so slightly. "What do you guys have to say for yourselves?"

The rebel growled leaning on the table. "Get out."

"He stays." Keith said standing up.

Lance didn't move, he continued to hold the rebel's glare. If he could hold gaze with the likes of Sendak then this was nothing.

"Lance is a paladin and a part of our team." Allura's voice said sharply from behind him. "So you stay away."

The rebel huffed again but turned away despondently and marched across the food hall.

Lance watched him go and even when he was out of sight he didn't quite relax.

"Okay, so I have questions." Shiro admitted as he sat down opposite Lance. "How did you guys get into a fight when we've only been here for 20 doboshes?"

"He came to us." Hunk grumbled still tense.

Lance basically flopped back in his chair, tipping his head back to meet Allura's gaze. "Did you figure it all out?"

"I'm afraid not." Allura whispered. "But I believe it is to do with some misunderstood reports."

Lance tilted his head again. "Misunderstood reports, what?"

"I'm not entirely sure." Allura sighed. "But we will get to the bottom of it eventually."

"Oh no, if people have got stuff to say about me and I can't either defend or admit to it I won't be able to sleep." Lance explained as he got up.

Pidge frowned. "Where are you going?"

Lance shot her a smile. "To get some answers."

"They won't explain it, not to you." Keith pointed out. "They don't like you."

"Well tough." Lance shrugged. "I can be incredibly persistent when I need to be."

"Yes, we know." Hunk smiled.

"Be right back." Lance smirked cutting past Allura to move around the table.

"I'll shadow him." Shiro promised as he got up. "See if you can figure out what Matt meant about-"

"What Matt meant about who?" Matt asked appearing from nowhere to make Shiro flinch.

"Lance." Keith informed eyes narrowed at Matt.

"Oh, that." Matt did look bad which was something. "They call him the bad luck charm."

"Bad luck... Why?"

Matt shrugged. "Earth only became fully under Galran command when Lance appeared on the scene, then he escaped from Thayserix and the Galran's grip got tighter, then he stole plans that he shouldn't and now 10 of our guys have been either caught or killed."

"And so you blame Lance?" Hunk asked tilting his head. "He's not the only human on earth."

Matt shook his head. "But he is the only one to leave earth, there is no transport off earth for humans, so how did he end up here?"

"He was taken." Pidge snapped.

"Still." Matt sighed. "Everyone is wary of him, I tried to put in a good word for him when I got back but that was all quickly shot down."

"I'm not surprised." Shiro frowned. "I'd better go and find him before-"

The whole base rumbled as everything shook.