The sorting.

The first years are all gathered outside a large set of double doors. They are all eagerly waiting for the sorting ceremony to start. A formally dressed woman greeted the first years. She wore emerald, green robes. She had her dark hair tied in a low bun and in top of her head was a pointed hat.

She stared down at the first years with an intimidating gaze. Lyanna heard Otis audibly gulp beside her. She then gave the first years a warm smile.

"Good evening children." She said her accent having a Scottish twinge. "My name is Professor McGonagall and I'm the deputy Headmistress, transfiguration teacher and head of Gryffindor house here at Hogwarts. " Lyanna looked at her in awe.

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily. Now there are four houses. Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin." She explained.

"We will now enter the great hall and begin with the sorting ceremony. When the ceremony is complete, we will have out welcoming feast. Follow me please." She says and leads the first years through the double doors into the great hall.

Lyanna was stunned as she took in the beauty of the hall. She particularly loved the ceiling as it was enchanted to look like the nights sky. She found it breath-taking. In the hall Lyanna saw four very long tables all filled with older students. At the end of the hall, she noted another long table where the professors were seated.

The first years all nervously walked behind McGonagall while the other students watched on.

The first years all stood in front of the teachers table and watched as Professor McGonagall placed a stool in front of them. Then, she brought out a very old looking pointed hat.

"Welcome everyone!" The hat exclaimed startling the first years. The hat suddenly began to sing. Lyanna found this bizarre and amusing. She and Otis exchanged funny looks as the hat continued to sing.

When it finished the hall exploded in applause. The hat looked pleased with himself.

Professor McGonagall then pulled out a scroll which she unrolled, and she began calling students up one by one.

"Abbot, Danielle". A small girl with short brown hair nervously stepped up to the stool. She sat down and McGonagall placed the hat in her head. Lyanna saw the magic hats mouth move but couldn't hear what it was saying. After a few moments the hat yelled

"HUFFLEPUFF"

The table occupied by the students wearing yellow burst into applause as the small girl quickly left the stool and made her way to the Hufflepuff table.

The sorting continued with students going to Ravenclaw Gryffindor and to Slytherin.

"Lupin, Remus" McGonagall called. Lyanna looked around finally spotting her friend as he made his way to the stool. He took a seat and looked put into the sea of students. He looked at his fellow first years and found Lyanna who was looking at him. When he made eye contact with her, she sent him a warm smile and a thumbs up. He smiled in return his nerves instantly calmed.

Lyanna waited anxiously before the hat shouted out

"GRYFFINDOR"

Remus looked relieved and hopped of the stool. Making his way to the red table as they cheered loudly for him.

It wasn't long then until it was Lyannas turn.

"Harrington, Lyanna." McGonagall called out.

Lyanna took a deep breath and made her way to the stool. McGonagall sent her a reassuring smile as she took her seat and placed the hat on her head.

"Interesting.......very interesting..... I sense a kind heart....... Very generous......Brave too. You could do well in Gryffindor. Oh, but you are very smart....... Ravenclaw could help you there. I remember your father.... He was a Slytherin. You don't seem like a Slytherin to me. Hmmmmmm difficult. I sense you have a bright future ahead of you...full of love and friendship. You will have hard times however, but I see you being an exceptional witch. Better be.."

"HUFFLEPUFF"

Lyanna smiles as the Hufflepuff table cheer loudly for her. She hops off the stool and makes eye contact with Remus as she makes her way to her new houses table. He looks a bit down. Disappointed that Lyanna and him aren't in the same house but he still sends her a smile and a small wave. She beams at him returning his wave.

Otis was also sorted into Hufflepuff and he took a seat next to Lyanna. The sorting was soon over. The biggest scandal being that a boy named Sirius Black was sorted into Gryffindor. Coming from a long line of Slytherins this was highly unusual.

Lily was also sorted into Gryffindor and she sent a wave to Lyanna as she passed by her.

"Welcome students!" A booming voice echoed through the hall. Headmaster Dumbledore stood behind a podium.

=============================================

"Welcome to our new first years. I hope you find your time at Hogwarts illuminating." He said with a smile and a twinkle in his eye.

"Now let's eat!" Dumbledore cheered and food burst out if the table.

Lyanna's mouth fell open at the sight of all the food. She let out an excited squeal causing Otis and a few Hufflepuffs around her to giggle.

Lyanna blushed slightly before loading her plate with potatoes and roast beef.

"Oh my god this is delicious. Way better than my dads cooking. I swear he could burn cereal." Otis says making Lyanna laugh.

"Are your parents magic?" Lyanna asks Otis.

"No I'm a muggleborn." Otis says.

"McGonagall came to our house to explain everything. It took McGonagall ages to convince Mum and Dad that I was a wizard." Otis explains.

"What about you?" Otis asks as he shovels food into his mouth.

"I'm a half blood. My dad is a wizard. My Mum is a muggle." She replies.

"I have a younger brother too called Louis. He started doing accidental magic recently so I hope he will be coming to Hogwarts in a few years." She explains.

"I'm an only child." Otis says. "I have always wanted a sibling."
" I can be your unofficial sibling." Lyanna says to him.

He looks at her shocked.

"Really?!" He says.

"Of course. If you want me to be. You can never have to many brothers." She says with a warm smile.

Otis sends her the biggest smile before hugging her.

"Thank you so much. I have always wanted a sister." He exclaims excitedly.

Lyanna hugs him back tightly.

"That's what family is for." She says.

They both let go and continue eating. Both talking rapidly for the rest of the meal.