Part Two- The Cost

Trigger warnings in the description

Violet

There was fire and a smoky haze everywhere, threatening to send my mind into a spiral of panic as I was reminded of the battle on the bridge that had my parents beaten down to their deaths years ago. I grit my teeth as I ran, pushing the thoughts away. No time for that.

Lips still burning from the kiss I'd stolen from Caitlyn, I searched desperately for any living thing that I could find, enemy or not, in the hopes that I could help the situation. There were flashes of guns going off here and there, but my mind struggled to comprehend how there could be so little conflict with such a fire blazing.

I suddenly stopped, the hair rising on my arms and the back of my neck. I growled lowly on instinct, eyes darting around, stance widening as my muscles tensed.

It was silent. Silence was bad. Silence meant danger. Silence meant death.

There was a flash of blue light from the sky so quick but so bright that I knew I hadn't mistaken it, and a few seconds later an ear shattering BOOM resounded through the earth. I cried out, falling to my knees and dropping the gauntlets in a panic to slap my bandaged hands over my ears, my eyes screwed shut. My head was ringing when I slowly lowered my hands and forced my eyes back open, wincing as the light and smoke stung them further, but once I registered what I was seeing, the pain was forgotten.

There were blue runes and specks of light waving about through the air, and my brow furrowed as I let out a small gasp. They were Arcane runes, this was Hextech. My eyes widened and I started to stumble to my feet, scrabbling for my gauntlets, but a force rammed into my back and flung me to smash into a crumbling building. Pain shot through my body, flashes of blue and purple sparking behind my eyes and burning through my brain. A gunshot suddenly went off close to me, followed by the sounds of hundreds of footsteps and the angry yelling of frightened people.

I knew my eyes were open but I couldn't see past the blazing colors in my vision. Were those enforcers? Where had the Hextech come from? Was this Jinx or Jayce?

Oh no, Caitlyn...

My thoughts were cut off as rough hands suddenly grabbed my shoulders and pulled me to my feet. I blindly lashed out as pain quivered through my muscles. The person yelped, then grabbed me again and dragged me from the rubble. "Vi! Vi, it's me!"

I stopped, gaping towards the voice. "Jayce? Blood hell, you idiot, what did you do?!"

"Really? That's the first thing to say to me? Never mind, we have to get you out of here before you get yourself killed. Can you walk?"

"I can't even see, Jayce, your Hextech blinded me," I snapped, staggering.

"You're the one who took the gauntlets, so shut up and come on," he bit out, tossing my arm over his shoulder and tugging me after him, ordering what I assumed was an enforcer to grab my gauntlets and follow after us. "Also, where the hell is Caitlyn?"

I hissed through my teeth at the pain spiking through my back, struggling to keep my footing as he practically dragged me with him. "She's in her room, she's hurt."

"Now you're the idiot," Jayce ground out. "She'll hate you for making her stay."

I resisted the urge to punch his pretty little face in and instead opted to ignore him, refusing his help when I slid down a wall and settled on the stone ground, breathing heavily. "Again, what did you do?"

He hesitated. "I- I used Hextech and shimmer together. It's our only way of getting out of this mess."

I felt despair and anger build up in my gut, resisting the urge to hiss out that we were all good as dead. But Caitlyn- I had to keep her safe. I had to do something.

Jayce listened to my silence and then huffed, standing. "Don't die." And then he was off, the sound of his Hextech hammer being wielded echoing through my head as he roared, jumping out into the streets to fight.

I laughed bitterly, feeling the first sense of relief in a long time as my vision finally came back to me in small fades of natural light, tiny sparks of blue and purple still burning an afterimage into the insides of my eyelids. "Sure."

A familiar scream had me whipping my head towards the Kiramman house as an explosion rang out from the roof, and my world stopped as I saw the proximity of it to Caitlyn's room. Blood boiling and a choked plea clawing up through my throat, I forced my body to work and strapped my gauntlets back on, scrambling into a desperate run towards the mansion. I mentally cursed myself at leaving her. Screw wanting to fight the outside world, what was even the point if the woman that held my heart was gone from it?

Fearful tears stung my eyes as my legs burned, bones and muscles screaming at me. I hadn't had time to access the damage done to my body when I'd been thrown into the building minutes ago, and I knew I would pay the price for that later. My carelessness would cost me. But I would never let it cost Caitlyn.

Except when I reached the street below the window to Cait's room, I realized that it possibly already did.

I stared in horror at the flames that roared through the opening, pure panic and hysteria clouding my mind and preventing me from moving. The loud pop of a Hextech infused ember brought me crashing back to reality, and there was only a small second as my muscles twitched before I used the pressurized tension in my gauntlets to launch me up towards the window, completely disregarding my own pain and safety in a show of utter desperation to know of Caitlyn's status.

Ignoring the sharp heat that danced angrily over my scarred skin and threatened to blind me yet again, I grabbed the ledge and hauled myself into the room, feet thumping heavily on the ashened floor.

My mother's blank eyes open and staring at nothing, blood dripping from her body onto that of my father.

"Caitlyn?!" I screamed to the fire engulfed bedroom, swallowing down coughs and squinting my eyes against the ash flying around, searching blindly for her. I could barely see anything past the harsh, crackling glow that seared through my brain.

Powder's little hand trembling in my grip as she covered her eyes and sang quietly to block out the horrors around us, our feet scuffing though blood and ash.

"Caitlyn!" Tears of agonized terror pooled and evaporated against my warm cheeks as I tore through blazing drapes and tossed furniture aside, scrambled around the bed, even went so far as to check under what was left of the rug.

Vander's towering form pummeling Enforcers into the ground through the fire and haze, bullets ringing through the air, people dying, people killing.

"Caitlyn!" My voice cracked.

Searching desperately for my parents, the only people I loved other than my sister, the only people I had, doing everything I could to keep Powder safe. I was so young.

"CAITLYN!" Nothing. No Caitlyn. My heart threatened to give out. No Caitlyn, no Cupcake, no blue haired sniper, no women that had captured my heart in her devilishly witty scopes, no-

No body, Vander's voice whispered in the back of my mind.

I froze. "No body."

I whipped around and smashed through the door, adrenaline flooding me in a fresh wave. No body. No body no body no body. She was alive. She had to be.

She had to be.

~~~~Thanks for reading! Remember to comment and vote❤️~~~~