Part Five- Anxiety

Thank you guys so much for 265 reads 🥰

Trigger warnings in the description

Caitlyn

All I knew was pain.

The sight of Jayce's face written over with agony as I watched him die kept filtering through my mind on repeat, almost heart shattering enough to numb out the pain in my legs, but not quite. I was vaguely aware of Vi's warmth holding me close. Her lips often brushed over my face, and I would've blushed furiously had I been mentally present enough to do so.

Jayce was dead.

I was so tired. My body felt weak, the blood pounding in my head and my legs. Everything hurt, like I was on fire.

Jayce was dead.

I let my eyes close, the jostling of Vi's body against me lulling me to sleep. Maybe if I... just rested for a little...

Caitlyn...!

I fell into oblivion.

Violet

I completely shoved my way past the Fire Lights that attempted to shove a sack over my head in order to keep me from knowing how to get to the sanctuary and continued on my hurried pace. "Heimerdinger, lead the way," I barked, sweat dripping down my back. My arms were starting to ache, and I shifted them anxiously, Caitlyn's head lolling against my shoulder. The yordle scurried ahead of me, the Fire Lights looking back and forth between the other before seeming to realize how truly urgent the situation was and nodding to each other, one following after us while one stayed behind.

The Fire Light caught up to me rather easily due to my weakening pace and held their arms out, beckoning for me to hand Caitlyn over to them. I resisted, sending a glare their way and holding her closer, forcing myself to go faster. The Fire Light shook their head and ran in front of Heimerdinger and I, taking several turns through the dimly lit tunnels we were in. We eventually reached a small metal door, and the Fire Light knocked a series of rhythms into it before it swung open harshly and another person ushered us through, their motions urgent. I shoved my way past, mindful of Caitlyn's head, and burst out into the sanctuary, my eyes darting around.

"Vi!"

My gaze shot to Ekko as he ran towards me, and I let out a cry of relief when I saw him. He carefully hugged me over Caitlyn, then stepped back and headed quickly to the giant tree in the center of the courtyard, the clean moonlight filtering through the leaves and seeming to shimmer across his dark skin. "Hurry, you both need a medic," he called to me. I followed after him gratefully, not bothering to ask how he seemed to have already known we were coming.

We reached a small white cabin built into the base of the tree and Ekko beckoned us in, where a female Fire Light with dark purple hair sat at a cluttered desk in the corner, agonizing over several papers when we entered. The medic's head shot up and her golden eyes widened when they landed on us, her jaw falling as she took in mine and Caitlyn's state.

The medic stood up and immediately began to prep the cot in the other corner, whipping a clean blanket out of nowhere and spreading it over it, then beckoning wildly to me. "Come lay her here, carefully," she ordered. I obeyed quickly, situating Caitlyn onto the bed. The medic pushed me back towards a chair. "You, you need to sit. Rest." I protested, reaching forward to quickly press a kiss to Caitlyn's cheek before allowing myself to be shoved into the char. The Fire Light got to work at once, pulling out vials and tools from drawers and putting all of her attention to the enforcer before her.

I watched anxiously and slumped into my chair, my breathing heavy as I felt tears prick my eyes, my mind finally starting to catch up to me about the day's events. I stared at what I could see of Caitlyn's face, her eyes closed loosely as her head lolled to the side, her cheek pressing to the soft sheets. I sucked in a lungful of air, blinking hard to keep myself from crying, but once I spotted the blood already staining the blanket she was laying on, I felt my heart stutter and my face go pale.

I had almost lost her today. Multiple times.

Ekko's hand was suddenly on mine and I was being pulled from the Healer's Cabin, my feet stumbling and my voice weak as I protested and pulled away, reaching towards Caitlyn, only to be grabbed again and removed completely from the structure. My mind flashed to Caitlyn doing the same thing, begging to go back to Jayce's body, and the two of them mixed together in my exhaustion to form a terrifying image of Caitlyn laying dead in my arms, drenched in blood.

My knees buckled as I choked back a scream, and Ekko's voice rang through my head as I sank into unconsciousness, fatigue finally swamping me.

Caitlyn

The world didn't make sense.

"Vi...?" I called wearily, my head pounding as a strange numbness ate away at my body. I forced my eyes open, barely making out the doorway that the moonlight shone through. It didn't reveal much other than the wooden floor, and my mind only had the strength to briefly wonder where I was before my eyelids drifted shut again.

I awoke three more times during the night in similar dazed fashions, every time being as uneventful as the last. However, the fourth time, sunlight was streaming into the room and I could finally make out what appeared to be a small healer's room, complete with the cot I was laying on and equipment scattered over several desks. A woman, who I assumed to be the medic, lay passed out over one of said desks, and my eyes darted lazily from her to examine the blank walls.

There was a sigh from beside me and it was only then that I realized someone was holding my hand, and I gasped softly when my tired mind finally registered that it was Vi. I held in a shout of joy and settled for gazing at her with adoration and relief. Her cheek was pressed to the cot as she slept in a chair next to me, one hand held tightly in mine. A small bit of drool made its way down her lips.

She was adorable.

I smoothed my thumb over her knuckles softly, embracing the warmth of her bare hands. They were rough and calloused and littered with scars, and I gently brought one up to my lips to kiss it.

I didn't look at my legs. I didn't try to wake her up. I didn't think of the state of the world outside the Fire Light base.

I just held Vi's hand, and I smiled.

~~~~Thanks for reading! Remember to comment and vote❤️~~~~