Part Four- Sickening

Trigger warnings in the description

Violet

I watched in horror as Jayce's mangled form went limp, the sound of Caitlyn's broken cries smashing into my heart. I was standing next to her numbly, my hand unhelpful and useless on her shoulder. My body ached. My vision was slightly blurred, and I couldn't tell if it was from the pain I'd been ignoring or the tears I shed for a man I hadn't even really liked.

He'd still been my friend though, I guess, in a way. And Caitlyn cared about him so much, even when he was an entitled prick.

I sucked in a shuddering breath and looked up to the sky, blinking hard at the hazy red clouds. Caitlyn's shoulders shuddered harshly, her sobs growing weaker.

A dark, distorted snicker sounded from the shadows, ringing through the air. I tensed and whipped my head around, eyes darting anxiously to find the source. Powder's form -Jinx's form- stepped from the darkness, her eyes glowing a violent, bloody pink, her mouth stretched into a psychotic grin. Her bruised and bloodied hands held Jayce's hammer, the Hextech weapon dripping with shimmer as it sparked and crackled.

I felt my heart fall in my chest. She... she had done this. She had killed Jayce with his own creation.

Jinx's eyes darted over my face, taking in my crestfallen expression, and there was a moment where agony, terror, and realization flashed over her own, revealing the scared little girl I knew she was still stuck as. It was gone in a moment, but I had seen it. She was suffering.

But... she was also killing.

I wanted to scream, to cry, to pound my fists into the ground or my own chest. I wanted my sister back. But all I could do was stare at her as sorrow dripped through me. My body moved on its own, a foot stepping forward and the hand on Caitlyn's shoulder moving to reach towards Jinx, but her face twisted into a mess of fury, and the was a second where I didn't know if she was going to attack, or maybe come to me and collapse into my arms, but she simply disappeared. As if she had never been.

My face crumbled, and I choked back the tears in my throat.

"Cupcake, we need to go," I whispered, turning back to see Caitlyn staring silently at Jayce's smoldering corpse. I stepped forward, dropping my gauntlets for the umpteenth time that day, and grabbed her gently under her arms to lift one over my shoulder and pull her back up. The impact of her knees striking the ground earlier had done even more damage to her legs, and I had little to no confidence that either of us would be able to get out of here very quickly.

Caitlyn protested weakly as I pulled her away from Jayce, her voice small and wavering as she begged to stay with him, but I kept us moving despite the ache in my heart.

"I know Caitlyn. I know. I'm so sorry."

She leaned against me heavily as we continued, sobbing quietly. My mouth was twisted into a tear stained frown. I numbly spared a glance over my shoulder towards Jayce's murdered form and my gauntlets that rested heavily on the ground next to him. I didn't go back to get them.