Part Eight- Promises

Enjoy the beginning of the angst lol

Trigger warnings in the description

Violet

I awoke in a state of bliss, the world seeming too perfect to be true in the precious minutes I had before I would have to get up and go back into the burning city to find my sister. Pushing the morbid thoughts from my head, I opened my eyes to the dim candle light and the essence of the approaching morning peeking from under the door. I slowly registered a pair of slender arms wrapped loosely around my chest. My... my bare chest-

My eyes snapped open fully as I swallowed hard, my mind racing. Holy... I- what? I twisted my head to look over my shoulder and was met with Caitlyn's beautiful face in a peaceful mask of slumber, her soft breathing hot against my skin as her cheek pressed to my tattooed neck.

I dropped my head back down to the pillow, grateful for the blanket that covered our naked bodies. Our legs were intertwined, Caitlyn's front pressed to my back. I could feel the heat from her breasts against my shoulder blades, and my face burned furiously.

My cheeks only got hotter as Caitlyn shifted, her lips brushing over my neck. "Good morning," she muttered, her voice low and gravelly. Irresistible. I took one of her hands in mine and stroked over her knuckles.

"Mornin' Cupcake. Sleep okay?" I asked her quietly, carefully shifting to roll over in her hold and drape my arm over her waist. Oh hell, those hips...

She mumbled a sleepy affirmative, her smile sending lighting through me. "After the night we had? Perfect."

I gave a sheepish smile. "Me too, beautiful."

Our bodies both stiffened at the same time, and Caitlyn's dazzling gaze met mine. Her lips twitched up into a grin as a blush dusted over her cheeks, and I felt the urge to kiss her. I gave into my own wants and pressed my mouth to hers gently, my hand rubbing circles into her back through the blanket.

Caitlyn melted against me with a sigh of content, her hand cupping my tattooed cheek. Her skin was creamy and smooth, the curves of her body making up a goddess next to my own rugged frame.

I had felt unworthy to touch her last night, but with her literally begging for me, how could I say no? How could I turn down the Piltover princess?

"Did you mean what you said?" Caitlyn suddenly asked, her voice a shy whisper.

"When I said what?"

"When you- when you first left, to try to protect me-"

My body burned with shame at the memory.

"And you said that you loved me."

Oh. Oh.

"Did you mean it?"
.
My immediate reaction was yes, of course I did, I was head over heels in love with her. But then, the fear...

It was like by admitting it to her for real, it would be that much worse if I lost her.

But if I didn't tell her, and something happened, I knew I would live a miserable life if what-ifs, however long that would even be.

"Yeah, Cupcake. I meant it. With every ounce of my being."

"I love you too." The smile she gave me lit my chest on fire, and I let the euphoria consume me for however many hours we had left as Caitlyn pressed her body to mine, our hearts finally in tune.

----

The city looked just about the same as it had three days ago, with fires blazing and ash gathering in piles on the streets. Enforcers in their gas masks darted around, some fighting unknown forces while others appeared in a constant state of panic. Understandable. Piltover was practically in ruins. Caitlyn sucked in deep breaths from where she stood beside me. I took her hand and grasped it tightly, bringing it up to my mouth and pressing a tender kiss to her palm.

She swallowed, her piercing gaze nervous and unsteady.

"Hey. Cupcake. Breath."

Caitlyn nodded, her shoulders shaking as she seemed to visibly calm herself. I pressed a kiss to her lips, lingering as long as I dared. When we parted, the fear was palpable and thick. Because this could be it. This could be the last time I saw her. If our plan didn't go well out there...

"Don't you dare die out there," she choked out, reading my mind. Her accent was thick with agitation and worry, and tears shimmered in her eyes. I drew her close to me, my hand held tightly to her back as she pressed her cheek to mine. "I thought- I thought I lost you already. We've had so little time. I want more. With you. Please. Please." Caitlyn's voice was a whimper, and I swallowed thickly, blinking hard to dissuade the tears from falling.

"I won't, Caitlyn. I won't leave you. Never again."

Powder! I'm here for you, only you! You can fire that thing if you want, but I'm not going anywhere. I'm not abandoning you again...

"You promise?"

I knew I couldn't make that promise. I knew I shouldn't have made it yesterday. Not again-

"I promise."

But I did anyway.

"We've gotta get going." Ekko's distorted voice bounced from the fog and ash as he stepped up beside us, the owl mask over his face adding a bit more to the intimidation factor.

I nodded in agreement, squeezing Caitlyn's hand tightly before letting go. "Ok. Here we go." I took a step forward, freezing to look back at the enforcer. "I'll be okay," I whispered to her. She nodded weakly. This was all so familiar, so painful. I did my best to give a reassuring smile, then ran into the city, leaving Caitlyn and Ekko behind on the bridge.

I had to find Powder. Jinx. If we could subdue her, we might have a chance against the rest of the people causing trouble. The plan was for me to find her, to try to talk to her, and others would be following close behind. We needed to surround her, to give ourselves the best chance.

I just... wanted my sister back. My family.

I hadn't told Councilor Medarda that I knew it was Jinx who killed Jayce. I hadn't told anyone. I couldn't. If she or Caitlyn found out, I knew they would never have mercy on my little sister if we were able to bring her down. They would want her dead in a second, hell, they already did. After all, an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

...A life for a life.

I shuddered, my legs pumping as I carefully darted between ashened buildings and around roaring blazes. I had a feeling... that she would be close to the Kiramman mansion. I cursed as I remembered the gauntlets I'd left by Jayce's body. All the more reason to head that way.

I have a bad feeling about all of this...

Caitlyn

I watched Vi's bright hair as she darted into the city, my heart sinking further into my gut.

Why did it all have to be so familiar?

~~~~Thanks for reading! Remember to comment and vote❤️~~~~