«4: "I don't want to lose you."»

(A/N: Hello! Z here and I just wanted to clarify that 'Edward' in this story is Ennard and that the text enclosed in « » are his thoughts. I hope you enjoy reading the story!)

"Finally done!"

Edward closed his laptop, and leaned against his seat. «Man, why did the manager have to arrange a meeting today?» He let out a groan and slumped in his seat. «Well, at least it's over now.» He rubbed his eyes and peered out the window. It was a normal sight; people coming and going, children playing, and birds squawking.

Edward turned around and saw a hanging picture on the wall. He neared it, a bright smile forming in his face as he stared at it with love. It was him and R.A standing close together: Edward in a suit, and R.A in the prettiest black wedding dress anyone could ever lay eyes upon. The feeling of it came back to him, and he couldn't help but feel proud of R.A for reaching this far.

«Speaking of R.A, she said she'll be back today...A 29-day siege sure sounds like finding a needle in a haystack...» He stretched, and scratched his neck. His eyes then landed on R.A's fat journal. 'When Night Flies'; the title was calligrapher beautifully in gold, with a blue gradient fading into black in the background. Tiny white stars could be seen, with a half crescent lying in the middle.

He flipped through the pages and examined it: the paper was of those old timey material which still had a smooth touch to it. After a few pages, R.A's beautiful handwriting came into view.
«Oh my goodness, I always believed that my wife indeed is so talented!» He went forwards, his eyes scanning the pages abruptly, and seeing most entries written in English, but the more personal ones in Persian, or Urdu.

One entry caught his attention.
"26th June"
«26th June? Wasn't that the day when R.A left for the siege?» He ran his hand through the page and begun reading aloud.

"For the past few days, I haven't been my best. For my mental health is iron strong, my physical health is barrel weak. I have just healed from my injuries now that this siege came up. I tried all sorts of herbs and ointments, but nothing seemed to work out. For Jaliph and Mariachi tried their best, but what is there for a dragon to lose? Dragons don't feel pain. Dragons are supposed to be superior, not act as special patients."

This made Edward concerned. He felt a chill down his spine and felt goosebumps on his arms. «I... I can't believe this. She's so hardworking, but even as a general, this is way too much. She just healed. What if...she doesn't come back?» The redhead sniffed and wiped his tears with sleeve. «No Edward, keep strong. You're the spouse of a warrior. Keep yourself steadfast, nothing will happen to he-»

His thoughts were interrupted with a door crashing open. He immediately got up and ran to the door. There stood R.A with one hand on the wall for support, and the other hand rested on her stomach. She was covered in sweat and she breathed in and out heavily. Her face was covered with minor scratches and scars, with her bloody sword tucked in her hip. Edward's eyes went agape,

"R.A!" He ran over and put her arm around his shoulders and the other around her waist for support. The dragon gave a smile in return and grabbed his chin, giving him a quick peck on the lips,
"How's my boo doing, hmm?" Edward blushed , but he knew what he had to do,
"I'm so thankful to see you, but first let's treat your wounds okay?" R.A sat on the couch while Edward helped him get her armour off. R.A groaned and rested a hand on her forehead.

Edward rushed over with some cotton swabs and alcohol. He had all the medicine and herbs ready on the kitchen table. He sat next to R.A and began to wipe her face gently to get off all the sweat. R.A kept staring at him, there was something about the look on her face, but no one knew what it really meant. Just a blank expression. He then grabbed the cotton swab and began treating the wounds on her face.

He then bandaged her left lower arm,
"I got shot by an arrow in the back," R.A began, "I don't understand how it happened. My armour is hollow and it's quite spacious, but I don't understand how it was able to pierce through my fur." She blinked slowly, indicating weakness. She let out another groan and turned her back towards him. She was right; there was a huge, bloody gash on her back. She was able to take out the arrow, but its tip was lodged inside.

Edward let out a low, worried gasp,
"R.A you don't mean-"
"Yes, go get the steel rod from the fireplace. Make sure one side of it is towards the fire." He didn't want to. He didn't want to see R.A in more pain than she already is. As a human, he knew how much it would hurt. Edward nodded and soon came back with the steel rod, one side of it glowing red. The redhead first studied the rod and gulped, then gazed at R.A.

"R.A are you sure?..." The dragon turned back lovingly, "Dear, it's okay," she smiled reassuredly, "it's just a minor scratch, dragons don't pity themselves for such an injury. I won't let this scratch lower my hope. Nothing will happen, trust me."
Her words brought a cloud of calmness over Edward's heart, he trusted her so much. He took in a deep breath. He reached out his hand trembling, slowly lowering the burning rod on the gash.

It let out a sizzling sound. Numerous groans and hisses escaped from R.A's mouth. She remained strong and didn't let out any scream. After a while, Edward removed the rod and quickly covered the gash with a handkerchief. He observed R.A's heavy breathing being the most audible in the room. «That's gotta hurt...» Carefully, he wrapped a large bandage around her chest area and made sure not to touch her back.

"Ugh..." R.A groaned lowly and closed her eyes. Edward stared at her as numerous thoughts ran through his mind. He wouldn't even make it out alive if he were in R.A's place. He thought about how R.A had such a strong heart and the sheer amount of bravery gripping her heart strong as anything. She didn't care whether she was injured or had to face instant death on the battlefield.

Just the thought of death made Edward shudder. He gripped his pants and began trembling. He didn't want to lose the love of his life, he didn't want to be alone. R.A heard a sniff and her eyes shot open when she saw him silently breaking down,
"Edward..." She let out softly. She rested both legs on the couch, resting her back against the couch. She pulled Edward to her chest and hugged him lovingly. She dug her fingers into his red hair and slowly stroked it.

The redhead sniffed, allowing tears to fall on R.A's shoulder. R.A didn't care about the pressure being applied, all she wanted was for him to be alright. He dug his face into her shoulder, with his left hand rested on her other shoulder. She cupped his face,
"Ed, I'm right here, why are you so afraid?" She giggled and kept rubbing his head.
"I...I just don't wanna lose you..." He replied, his voice slightly muffled.

"Darling look at me," The redhead slowly looked up, "when we have children, you do know I'm not gonna be there all the time right?" 
Edward just gazed into her beautiful eyes, impatiently awaiting what more she has to say,
"I'm just mentally preparing you, just in case I don't make it out alive. I want you to remain strong and look after the kids, okay?"

This made Edward break down even more. He was full on crying; after examining the condition R.A was in, and the thought of losing her made him terrified. R.A's eyes slightly went agape. She was shocked. She wasn't expecting this sudden outburst, but she, too, fell silent. She knew this feeling. It was too familiar. She just wrapped her arms around him and kept in that position in silence. She closed her eyes and dug her face into his hair,

"Oh Edward..."