The Afternoon of The First Day

I woke up, groaning softly. Whilst sleeping, I had gotten into an uncomfortable position, and I was sore all over. I look around to see that the walkways were completely deserted, like a ghost town. Crap, I must've missed the bell. I began to panic, but then I saw a figure approaching. It was a blonde guy, who was only just a little taller than me. I waved him down and tried to ask him, "I'm so sorry to bother you, but where is this class?" I pointed to the note I had written on my hand. Before he could tell me, I also pointed to my hearing aids, signifying I was deaf. He beamed and began to sign. Oh my God, he can sign. He told me exactly where to go; "Take a left down this path, take a right, then-" He stopped. "Actually, can I show you myself?" He asked, signing elegantly. I nodded and thanked him profusely.

As we were walking, we continued to chat. Turns out, he learned sign language from a young age because he thought it looked cool and fell in love with it ever since. We bonded over the silliness of certain signs, and how learning it could be quite hard when it wasn't your first language. I told him a bit about myself: how I lost my hearing at a young age, just after I began to speak. Since then, I speak with an annoying lisp. The boy, called Alexander, told me my lisp was adorable. I attempted to hide my blush but was unsuccessful. "Your blush is adorable too," He signed to me, making me hide my face even more. I thanked him shyly, and soon enough we stopped outside my class. "See you later, Y/N!" Alexander said, smiling. I waved goodbye and walked into the class. The moment I opened the door, everyone looked at me in silence. The teacher, an older lady, told me where my seat was, and I awkwardly sat down. Right next to the boy from the bus.

Nothing happened, at first. He didn't say anything, and I did my classwork in silence. It was chemistry, and we were learning about electrolysis or something. I glanced next to me, where the boy sat and looked at the name on his book. Lucian. Quite a pretty name. I felt a tapping on my shoulder and looked up, to see said Lucian staring right at me. "What're you looking at?"He glared at me, making me immediately look down. "Nothing, sorry." That was all I said, and yet it seemed to anger him more. "Nothing? Really? I bet you were looking at the answers, you cheat." He spat. I quickly showed him my book, where I had written down more answers than he had. This seemed to have cleared up the misunderstanding, as he simply exhaled and looked away from me, back to his work.

The rest of chemistry went okay, without much hassle. The fourth period also went okay, albeit uneventful and boring. Once the bell rang for lunch, students stormed out of the building to get their food, or to meet with friends. I decided to get something from the canteen and was shocked at just how much food there was. Burgers, sandwiches, pastries, even soup. I took a small pastry and paid, then walked out. The air was fresh, and swallows swooped in the air, possibly hoping for some fallen food. I took a bite of the pastry and continued walking, right back to the bench I had previously fallen asleep on. Except, there was a boy sitting there. He looked at me, then gestured for me to sit down next to him. I did as told, and watched as he played on his phone while eating a sandwich. We didn't talk much. It was a bit awkward for me, but he didn't seem to notice. 

"Oi, Ezekiel, wanna go- Oh." I looked up to see Lucian talking to the boy on his phone, and I could read his lips; He talked quite clearly, I noticed. Then, he looked at me and his face fell. I immediately look down, trying to avoid eye contact. The boy, Ezekiel, must've stood up, as I felt the weight displace on the bench. I felt someone's hand on my chin, and I looked up. There was Ezekiel, smiling down at me, fingers on my chin. He leaned a bit too close for comfort, and talked to me, making sure I could see his mouth. "Darling, why don't you come with us?" He cooed, making me blush a bright red. He chuckled and took my hand. Lucian said something, but he covered up his mouth purposefully, so I couldn't hear. Ezekiel, oblivious to this, spoke loud and clear; "I don't care if you don't want her with us, I do, and so do the others,". The others? Who could they be? I followed behind them silently, smiling slightly whenever Ezekiel looked back to check I was still there. 

Soon, we reached an alleyway of sorts, between two of the school buildings. No one seemed to come by here, as it was pretty far away from any walkways. It gave me a creepy feeling. In the alleyway were two boys I recognized; Sebastian and Alexander. The worry I felt was washed away as the two, seeming pleasantly surprised, waved at me.