At Home

The day dragged on, filled with awkwardness and hostile silence. On the bus home, I ignored Lucian's request and sat by myself. I felt awful, but I didn't want to give him the wrong idea. Once I got off the bus, I glanced at the vehicle and saw Lucian staring at me, anger apparent in his features. I looked away quickly and walked home. 

Once I got home, I noticed a note on the kitchen table. "Hello Y/N, don't panic! We've gone out for the night, we'll be back home around 1 am. Mum and Dad."  This wasn't too unusual, they would sometimes go out on dates. I found it quite cute, that they still have a good relationship after all these years. However, this left me home alone for the night. I felt a bit anxious, but I knew I'd be fine. I can cook simple meals, and I always had the door locked. I'll be safe. 

I made myself some dinner, simple pasta will do. I set the water to boil and went about making the sauce. I'm pretty good at cooking, after many attempts. The first time I tried to cook an egg, I was neglectful and set it on fire. The edges were burnt, but somehow the egg itself was undercooked. It's still a mystery to this day. I giggle to myself, relishing the memory. 

I cooked my meal without much issue and sat down to eat. I distracted myself from the loneliness by watching something on my laptop. It felt oddly warm, so I opened a large window. Hopefully, some fresh air can get in and it'll cool down. I washed the dishes and did a few other household chores. I felt a bit odd, but I couldn't place why. I probably felt tired or ate too much, or was overheating a little bit. Since I was home alone, I stripped down to my underwear to cool off, and because it was comfier than my school uniform. I got into bed, not bothering to pull the covers up over me, and fell asleep. 

I woke up with the crawling feeling of being watched. I looked around my room, but saw nothing out of place, except for my curtains, which were wide open. I forgot to close the curtains again...I began to get out of bed when I felt something stopping me. Something was wrong. The trees outside my windows swayed in the night sky, but there was a mass partly blocking the view. My heart pounded in my ears as I realized what it was. A person, staring at me through the window. I couldn't make out who it was due to the moonlight shining on my face, obstructing my view. 

I couldn't move, not even to close the curtains or grab my phone. I just watched and waited. Is someone trying to kill me? Am I going to die? Thoughts were rushing through my head, overwhelming me. I silently began to cry, not moving an inch. I thought if I stayed still, the figure would leave me be. Yet it stayed there, staring at me. It felt like hours, watching this person outside my window, waiting for it to do something. My pillow was wet from tears, and my head hurt from the stress. 

Something must've made a noise, because it spooked the figure, and it swiftly moved out of the way. I saw lights come on in my house, and I realized it was my parents coming back home. My mum walked into my room to check up and immediately ran up to me, worried at my crying. I told her everything, how I woke up to someone watching me through my window, how it scared me, how it disappeared after they came home. My mum smiled sadly and stroked my hair. "I think you may have had a nightmare, Y/N. It's nothing to worry about. You'll be fine." She signed, a pitiful expression on her face. "Mum, I know what I saw, it was real. You need to believe me!" I almost screamed. I was terrified for my life, and my own mother was dismissing my worries as if it was nothing. She shushed me, suddenly angry, and continued to sign. "Y/N, you need to be quiet, the whole neighborhood could've been woken up. It was a dream, this is a lovely, safe area to live in. Please go back to sleep". Despite my worries, I began to doubt myself. Was it a dream? But it felt so real...

I lay back down in bed, pulling the covers up over myself. My mum smiled and wished me goodnight, and my bedroom door was closed. I quickly stood up out of my bed and checked the locks on my window. Satisfied, I closed the curtains and laid back down. Perhaps it was a dream after all. I was annoyed my mum didn't believe me, but I felt a sense of relief too. This is a pretty safe neighborhood. Why would anyone want to rob this place? My head hit the pillow, still damp from my previous tears, and I closed my eyes. I couldn't sleep, worry still wracking my brain, but I felt safer than I did. I dozed off into a light sleep, and rested until the morning.