Skipping School

I was understandably shaken up after the previous night, I had bags under my eyes and wasn't too excited to go to school. I ended up falling asleep on the bus, and Lucian gently shook me awake.  "Hey, are you okay?" He asked, I nodded and groggily got out of my seat and walked out of the bus. Lucian followed me. "Did something happen? You just fell asleep on the bus, and you've been ignoring me". I said I was fine and continued walking, but a little faster. He grabbed my hand, and I turned around to look at him. "It's about those rumors, isn't it? The reason why you've been avoiding me." I looked at the ground, trying to avoid looking into his eyes in any way I can. He tilted my chin up with his hands, and I saw pure sorrow in his eyes. I suddenly felt bad for ignoring him. How could I have done that? I needed him to speak on his side of the story before I judged him. "I'm sorry." I sighed. I felt disgusted with myself. He smiled, "I'll tell you about those rumors at lunch, okay? Meet me at that bench you like." He then waved at me, and walked off to his class. 

Maths again, it seems. I walk to my class without much issue and see Sebastian, who gestures to sit next to me. He tried to make conversation, but I only replied with short, curt responses. I didn't mean to be rude, but I couldn't think properly after not sleeping well. Sebastian noticed, and asked if I was alright. I said yes, but he didn't believe me. He then stood up, grabbed my hand, and walked out of the class without even looking back. I was confused and tried to pull away, but he held on with a firm grip. I look back at the class to see them equally confused, and the teacher yelling something at Sebastian. Eventually, we stopped outside the gates of the school, which were closed. "Jump over." Was all he said. I told him we can't, we'll get in trouble. He held no discernable expression as he knelt down, and told me he was giving me a boost. I tried to argue, but he wouldn't take no for an answer. I soon gave up and let him push me up over the gates, I almost fell over once I landed on the ground outside the school. He climbed up with ease and hopped over like it was nothing. He then held my hand and we walked. I protested, telling him we should go back. "I do this all the time." He simply responded. 

We walked for about ten minutes in silence, Sebastian never letting go of my hand. We stopped at a dainty cafe, vines creeping up the walls and roof covered in moss. The smell of freshly baked bread permeated the air as we walked in. He guided me to a small table in a corner, away from any other patrons. "This is a nice place!" I said, attempting to brush off the tension. He didn't say anything in return. He went up to the counter, I assume to order something. After a minute or so, he came back with a slice of cake and two drinks. "I didn't know if you liked tea or coffee, so I got one of each. I'll have whichever you don't want." He stated matter-of-factly. I took the tea, and he grabbed the coffee. There were two forks, but only one cake. He seemed bashful about this. "It's okay if you can't afford another cake, I've got some money if you want me to-" I began. He stopped me. "Don't waste your money. I wanted to share with you if that's okay." He smiled, slowly returning back to his usual self. I found it weird how he left the school without much anxiety, and yet I was shaking at the thought of being found. He observed my unease and gave me a reassuring smile. "You'll be fine, don't worry. If we do get caught, blame it on me." He chuckled. 

I took one of the forks and took a small bit of the cake, and tasted it. My eyes lit up as the chocolate filled my tastebuds. "It's so good!" I joyfully expressed. He beamed at my excitement, "I'm so glad you like it! My mum and I used to go here all the time when I was younger." He reminisced. It seemed to be a bittersweet memory, so I avoided saying anything on the subject. "Now, about you. What's wrong?" He asked, almost taking an authoritative personality. I felt reluctant to tell him about the night before, but I figured he wouldn't judge me. He listened intently, in complete silence, observing me with an unsettled look. "My mum said it was only a dream, but it felt so real, you know?" I ended. He didn't speak for a moment, but then looked at me fiercely. "If you ever feel unsafe, please, call me." He then took out his phone, opened it to his contact list, and asked me to add my number. Once I added my number, I gave him back his phone and he pocketed it. I saw his phone was a newer model, yet was cracked. 

My next worry I told him was about Lucian. Sebastian's grip on his fork tightened as I told him. "I never really liked him," He admitted. "He's always messing around with girls, breaking their hearts, manipulating them. I think you should stay away from him." I felt a bit worried about this and wondered if he was trying to manipulate me. "Possibly. Remember how he made fun of you on the first day? Then, suddenly he acted super nice? It's weird." He said. I couldn't speak, the cake suddenly sickly sweet. I thought of Lucian as a possible friend, and hearing all this from Sebastian made me feel disconcerted. Then, I remembered something. "I was supposed to meet Lucian by the bench!" Sebastian, who was holding his coffee cup, spilled over himself. "Shit!" He muttered. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to spook you. Here, let me clean it up."I said, walking to him and patting his clothes with a nearby serviette. I bent down to reach his lower chest and felt him place his hands on my shoulder. I felt air pass by my ear, possibly him talking, but I couldn't hear what he said. "Did you say something?" I asked. His eyes were glazed over, a small smile placed on his face. "Nothing, Y/N. Just saying thank you." He mumbled. 

After finishing the cake and drinks, we left the cafe. I headed in the direction of the school, but he pulled me back. "We're not done yet. Let's go somewhere nice." He pulled out his phone and called someone. "Hello? Don't worry about that. I've got a...Friend with me, and I want to treat her. Pick me up at the old cafe." He hung up, without saying goodbye. Whoever he was talking to, he wasn't very close with. We waited outside the cafe for a bit, making small talk when a sleek, black car pulled up. Sebastian opened the door for me, and I thanked him. We got inside, and I see an older man driving the car. I say hello to him, but he doesn't say anything back. "Thank you for picking us up, father".